Trekker error code 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WarrenZ.

Feb 10, 2020
USA
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I had a brand new trekker installed today. Before start up I receive an error code 3. Manual does not discuss error code 3. The stove will not start up as a result and goes into shut down. A fan blows for about 45 seconds but I don’t believe the auger ever turns. Anyone have an idea what area code 3 is? My dealer was closed today and I will hope to speak to him tomorrow.

Try unplugging it for a couple minutes and then try it. If it fails again I would definitely have the dealer involved.

Try unplugging it for a couple minutes and then try it. If it fails again I would definitely have the dealer involved.
Thank you for the reply. I tried that quite a few times. I tried running the plug into different outlets as well. Always the same thing: device blows air for 20 seconds then the Error 3 shows on the thermostat. When I clear the error the thermostat goes to SHUTTING DOWN and after another 20 seconds or so the fan turns off.
The dealer called me and told me they would send a tech out in a few days. He said the error had "something to do with feed rates" and that it was nothing to worry about. He also advised that it was under warranty if the problem was worse.
Any ideas? Anyone know what the Quadra-Fire Trekker error codes are, other than the few that are listed in the troubleshooting spection in the manual? All we have now is a 400 pound paperweight.
-Warren Z

Did the installer not test the stove?
explain how it works and show you how to maintain it?
I would be some pi$$ed off after paying a load of money
for a unit that does not work and to be told we will look at it
in a few days.
When I was installing stoves were tested with the customer
and he/she was shown how it works and how to maintain it
If they reported a problem we were back within 24 hours
What has happened to good service?

Reactions: Ssyko
Did the installer not test the stove?
explain how it works and show you how to maintain it?
I would be some pi$$ed off after paying a load of money
for a unit that does not work and to be told we will look at it
in a few days.
When I was installing stoves were tested with the customer
and he/she was shown how it works and how to maintain it
If they reported a problem we were back within 24 hours
What has happened to good service?

Thanks for the comments. The "installation" apparently takes place in two steps: the guy yesterday just delivered the stove, punched a hole and ran the ventilation. Didn't even plug the stove in. Another tech is supposed to then come and get her up and running.

I was asked to make an appointment with the second guy a week ago or so but didn't. I assumed like you that the stove would be up and running by installer #1 and didn't make an appointment for installer #2.

Now I have to wait six days for the second installer to actually plug the stove in and check it out. Hopefully Error 3 isn't a big deal but because of the error the system doesn't clear the initial system check and shuts down.

Any idea why Quadra-FIre doesn't provide a complete list of error codes in their owners and installation manual? They only list:

error 2: exhaust probe fail
error 6: exhaust blower alarm
error 8: exhaust overtemp
error 10: communication error

What about 3, or all of the other missing codes. I cannot find anything online.

My fear now is that installer #2 is going to discover that something is wrong with the stove six days from now and I'll have to wait for parts.

This has been a long, dragged out process that I hope comes to an end soon.

I would calmly explain to you dealer thAt #1 an #2 installers should have both been there to do the job at the same time and what kind of discount do you give for delay of service. They were promptly paid for the stove and install up front. They need to light a fire under #2’s a$$. Now your staring at a stove that is not operational. If they don’t have a satisfactory answer ask them who their lawer is, yours will need his number.

You stove is probably fine just needs setup parameters set for it to work .

Reactions: Mt Bob and johneh
I would calmly explain to you dealer thAt #1 an #2 installers should have both been there to do the job at the same time and what kind of discount do you give for delay of service. They were promptly paid for the stove and install up front. They need to light a fire under #2’s a$$. Now your staring at a stove that is not operational. If they don’t have a satisfactory answer ask them who their lawer is, yours will need his number.

You stove is probably fine just needs setup parameters set for it to work .
It's my bad that Inst #2 wasn't scheduled. I didn't know what the purpose of him or her was.
I'm hoping ERROR 3 is a setup error as you describe and can be fixed on site. We are so looking forward to having this stove up and running.

:)
Still dealer should have explained the process so there is no misunderstanding. Let us know how you make out.

On this points or you are 100% correct.
:)
Still dealer should have explained the process so there is no misunderstanding. Let us know how you make out.
On this point sir you are 100% correct. If I knew my stove wouldn’t work I would’ve made that second phone call weeks ago. It’s a misunderstanding but something I hope we can fix soon. And when I find out how they resolve the error code three I will pass it on to everyone.

Has anyone had any luck contacting Quadra-Fire via social media? I've sent them some private messages today via Twitter but its been about an hour and they haven't replied yet. Trying to find out the meaning of Error 3.

I checked this morning and no responses from Quadra-Fire via their Twitter account to my private messages regarding Error 3 on the Trekker.

I understand Quad relies heavily on their dealer network to solve problems, but when the dealer is busy and has done what they can do there are no other resources to turn to.

If anything changes I'll update here, but right now it looks like I have to wait until early next week to find out what the error is and to have the dealer fix it.

Quad responded to the private Twitter messages I sent them.

They advise that Error 3 isn't possible on the Trekker.

They said the fact it is showing up on the thermostat means that the control board isn't programmed correctly and will have to be replaced. They reached out to my dealer and arranged to have a new board sent to them so hopefully installer #2 will have it with them and will swap it out when they arrive next week for part #2 of the install.

Faith is restored for the time being. Big Thanks to the folks at Quadra-Fire for getting involved and speeding up this installation/troubleshooting process.

Warren

OK - the "start up" and final phase of the installation is scheduled for Tuesday morning. I confirmed with the young lady that called from the dealership that the tech would bring the new control board Quad sent them for me to resolve the "error 3" issue. Thanks again Quad!

I can't wait. We had our old Franklin style wood stove removed the day before the Trekker arrived. We donated it to friends who had a smaller stove and were stoked (ha!) to get the upgrade to a much larger one. That Franklin was our primary source of heat and has been for years, so we've been walking around in sweaters and hats inside. I hope the tech can defeat the "error 3" with the new board and the stove will roar to life.

Eventually this house will be super warm and toasty, but this change over from wood to pellets hasn't been without its challenges, both scheduling and financial. I thought it would be a very simple swap but it hasn't been.

Here is where the Franklin was and the Trekker is.

Attachments

• IMG_1942.JPG
    IMG_1942.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 138
OK everybody. The tech arrived today and replaced the control board in the Trekker. It now works perfectly. So I can confirm that a new control board will resolve the error three situation. I will let it run for a week or so and then give a review of sorts here. What I can report now is that the Bluetooth key and thermostat paired automatically. I have the thermostat 18 feet away and it shows a solid connection. Thanks to all who responded.

Attachments

• 01C001E7-291B-4AF8-8093-9A61DD4808C4.jpeg
    01C001E7-291B-4AF8-8093-9A61DD4808C4.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 156
  • F24A640D-10B3-43B8-B0A2-58D5376776BF.jpeg
    F24A640D-10B3-43B8-B0A2-58D5376776BF.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 166
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I had a brand new trekker installed today. Before start up I receive an error code 3. Manual does not discuss error code 3. The stove will not start up as a result and goes into shut down. A fan blows for about 45 seconds but I don’t believe the auger ever turns. Anyone have an idea what area code 3 is? My dealer was closed today and I will hope to speak to him tomorrow.
Hi, Sorry for the late reply. I had our Trekker installed December of 2018. We got the error 3 code in January of 2019, after I unplugged it to do maintenance. I may have been the first one to have this problem, because the engineers at Quad had no idea what was wrong. What I found out was.... they use the same board for other models, but they burn a different program on it, and change the part number for the specific model. I plugged it in after the maintenance, and it reverted to another program. Trekker codes are even numbers. Error 3 is from another model. It's something like a outside ambient temp. probe error. They put in a new board, and all is well. not a problem since then, .......The Trekker has worked great for us, plenty of heat, not too noisy. The glass does get sooty, but I don't find it to be a problem. Because, I clean the glass just about every evening. I'm curious what setups other Trekker owners are using; I mostly use Easyblaze pellets(soft wood), with the tuning at 4 or 5. I leave the heat setting at 5, because the stove seems to regulate output, depending on how much temp is being called for by the thermastat.......Jack

Reactions: WarrenZ.
Hello Jack. The Trekker is great. I use very similar settings as you. I was experiencing 1 or 2 feed errors a week and I’m currently experimenting with tuning 6. I would resolve the feed error simply by turning the stove back on. It seems that sometimes the pellets would burn out before more pellets were delivered. It is a fairly rare occurrence. I have been using pellets from Agway consistently and they burn well. I unplugged the stove during the off-season but left the battery in the thermostat. I simply plugged the stove back in and the Bluetooth connection was immediately reestablished and I was able to start the stove. Battery life is still showing 100% after one year. I used some fogging oil to spray the inside to prevent rusting. We are very pleased with the stove as you said it is quiet and can throw a lot of heat. We are venting with a straight pipe directly out the back and I found zero clinkers and a very small amount of ash in the ventilation system. It is burning extremely clean. Maintenance is very easy as I have removed both the combustion and convection fans to clean in and around them in addition to the auger which pops right out for cleaning. I ordered a spare igniter in the event one would be necessary but I haven’t had the need to use it after one season. Good luck with your Trekker!