Tried the Bayou's today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChandlerR

Minister of Fire
Jan 28, 2009
Hampton, NH
A couple of weeks ago I was at Home Depot in North Hampton and, naturally, I checked out the Garden Center to see what pellets they had. Penningtons and Bayou's. I remembered the reviews for the Penningtons but forgot about the Bayou's. I bought one bag to try. When I got home, I checked the Forum and saw the reviews. Oops. Oh well. It was cool today so we ran the stove this morning. The hopper was almost out of the Lignetics. I dropped in some Bayou's and went about my day.

My pyrometer was reading 143 degrees air discharge on the Ligs. A couple of hours went by, my wife and I were busy getting things ready for company on Thanksgiving. I walked into the Family room and noticed something was different. It was cool and quiet. I couldn't believe it, the fire had gone out! The stove was set up to run the Lignetics and it was on Low, Low. I looked in the stove and the pot was full of unburned pellets. You guys said these pellets didn't burn very hot. Well I'm here to tell you that they are pretty cold right now.

I'll be scooping them out tomorrow.....

Chandler

CWR said:
A couple of weeks ago I was at Home Depot in North Hampton and, naturally, I checked out the Garden Center to see what pellets they had. Penningtons and Bayou's. I remembered the reviews for the Penningtons but forgot about the Bayou's. I bought one bag to try. When I got home, I checked the Forum and saw the reviews. Oops. Oh well. It was cool today so we ran the stove this morning. The hopper was almost out of the Lignetics. I dropped in some Bayou's and went about my day.

My pyrometer was reading 143 degrees air discharge on the Ligs. A couple of hours went by, my wife and I were busy getting things ready for company on Thanksgiving. I walked into the Family room and noticed something was different. It was cool and quiet. I couldn't believe it, the fire had gone out! The stove was set up to run the Lignetics and it was on Low, Low. I looked in the stove and the pot was full of unburned pellets. You guys said these pellets didn't burn very hot. Well I'm here to tell you that they are pretty cold right now.

I'll be scooping them out tomorrow.....

Chandler

I've been having the same issue with the bayou's. My burrnpots been 4-5 inches deep of half-burn pellets. I ve been turning the low fuel feed down all the way and then the air up all the way about 2x a day to get them to burn off. I'm at the 1 ton mark (1st time pellet burner) so I am probably due for the leaf blower trick as well. I was hoping that would help. I just picked up an unused leafblower from someone but did not have the vacuum attachment. Got to go back and see if they got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.