Triple-Mount Lawn Tractor Hitch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hey All,
So I saw LLigetfa's hitch mount he had made for his Craftsman and had my brother make one up since nobody seems to make something like this. Well, we had some extra stock and made up a couple others if anyone is interested. I've attached a pic--the cool thing about this one is that it can take ball- and pin-mount devices without having to take off the bagger bracket. It is 3/8" steel with stainless steel welds and will bolt right to the bagger attachment and base plate (needs two 3/8" holes in base).

PM me if you're interested, and feel free to leave comments!

S

Attachments

• Copy of DSC01223.jpg
    Copy of DSC01223.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 1,166
From what I can tell it looks good, can you get a pic in the sunlight? it my just be my computer.

smokinjay said:
From what I can tell it looks good, can you get a pic in the sunlight? it my just be my computer.

Smokin I lighten the picture up.

zap

Attachments

• Copy of DSC01223.jpg
    Copy of DSC01223.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 990
Jay,
A bit better? I'll be getting another pic or two today and will post those later.

S

thinkxingu said:
Hey All,
So I saw LLigetfa's hitch mount he had made for his Craftsman and had my brother make one up since nobody seems to make something like this. Well, we had some extra stock and made up a couple others if anyone is interested. I've attached a pic--the cool thing about this one is that it can take ball- and pin-mount devices without having to take off the bagger bracket. It is 3/8" steel with stainless steel welds and will bolt right to the bagger attachment and base plate (needs two 3/8" holes in base).

PM me if you're interested, and feel free to leave comments!

S

Looks great.

zap

thinkxingu said:
Jay,
A bit better? I'll be getting another pic or two today and will post those later.

S
I can see that one better nice work!

Good looking hitch
FWIW I have seen one for sale that is made for a receiver and has those 2 and a tow hook I think. Made for the lawn tractor sold at menards

Tony,
The problem with the one you're talking about (if it's the same one I tried) is that all the weight is put on the little tab at the bottom of the plate (the one used for pin-mount pull-behind accessories)--when you add a connection point even an inch longer, it acts like a cantilever and bends the tab very easily. LL and my brackets change the pressure points. The only other one I've seen is actually made for a towing receiver, but these guys don't have those.

Did that make sense?

S

LLigetfa said:
thinkxingu said:
Hey All,
So I saw LLigetfa's hitch mount he had made for his Craftsman...
Here is a pic of the original sans the bagger attachment.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_nX0X4MOKcKI/ScG8buP_8yI/AAAAAAAAALw/A31BLpUDaRU/s640/100_0264.JPG

This is what I need for my HD John Deere. I don't think the bracket design like Thinkxungu posted would work on my tractor. LLigetfa, is your design attached w/3 bolts? I'm assuming it's bolted at the top as well (can't see). Do you think a welder could make this from the picture?

bsa0021,
My brother was able to fabricate the one above using LLigetfa's pic, so I'm sure a welder, with the correct measurements, could figure something out.

So y'all know, I think I may have one left!

S

Ja third bolt at the top. All three went into existing holes on the tractor.

thinkxingu said:
Tony,
The problem with the one you're talking about (if it's the same one I tried) is that all the weight is put on the little tab at the bottom of the plate (the one used for pin-mount pull-behind accessories)--when you add a connection point even an inch longer, it acts like a cantilever and bends the tab very easily. LL and my brackets change the pressure points. The only other one I've seen is actually made for a towing receiver, but these guys don't have those.

Did that make sense?

S

I think I see , the first one I looked at was built to slide into a 1 " square receiver and the one I saw at Lowes yesterday connected via the pin mount and with the load on the ball aboye it would easily bend the light steel on the tractor. I see how yours would be much stronger and not load down the tab area.

besides the tractor I was also looking at one on the 4wheeler , mine has a pretty HD mount for a ball on that one I might be able to use a longer shaft ball and put a spacer on the bottom with the "tab" plate mounted on the bottom

Here is another version of a garden tractor ball mount. I used a couple of pieces of angle iron and bolted them to the sides of the tractor. No welding needed. Used a piece of Epe decking to mount the ball on. That stuff is almost as strong as steel. You can still use the orig pin mount. The only downside is you couldn't use chains with this set up but that's not an issue for me.

Attachments

• Photo045.jpg
    Photo045.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 668
  • Photo040.jpg
    Photo040.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 652
ThinkXingyou, I know this is an old thread. Someone replied to my post with this link. Your tractor looks just like my Husqvarna from the back. I see a Craftsman label so it probably is the same. I'm needing something like your hitch to pull a new Huskee 35 ton splitter. Right now, the ball hitch on the little tractor is so low that there is a great deal of tongue weight on the ball and it's bending the metal tab/attachment plate.

I've been looking for something like you have but I'm not a welder and don't have a clue about designing one. You mentioned in your original post, over a year ago, that you had made some extras. Do you still have any? If so, how much would you want for one?

Thanks,

Ken

Hey Kenster,
My bro was gonna make a couple more, but we couldn't get enough people on board--I've got no extras left. Look at the design and ask your local welder--I wouldn't think it'd be too expensive.

Sorry!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.