trouble installing baffles -- Envirofire EF4i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

elester

Nov 21, 2020
Western Washington
I removed the fire box backing in this stove in order to clean behind it, and now I cannot for the life of me figure out how to put the baffles back in, atop the two side pieces. I have spent a couple of hours trying different positions to no avail. If anyone has a hint, or a picture, I would be very grateful.

I have an owner's manual and exploded drawings of the stove but these things are simply no help. The instructions for re-assembly simply say to put them back on...

Advice to myself: ALWAYS take pictures of things before and as you take them apart.

I presume you are talking about the plate that
sits just under the heat exchanger tubes!
If so look just above the brick liner there are 4 slots
one on each side and 2 in the back. The tabs on the
plate fit in those slots Note that the front edge of the plate
(the lip) goes down toward the burn pot
Or are you talking about the 3 piece fire
box liner that goes to the back of the firebox?
If it is back in first then 1 side not easy to install and line up
hold in place (this is where a third hand would be nice to have)
put the other side into place get all the to line up with back and sides
if the hold in rod at the top fits you are good to go if not adjust side
plates until the rod slide's into its slots just takes a little finesse
then brick plate sits over top and has self-tapping bolts that hold's
the whole works in place. You only have to do this once a year
and after 3 0r 4 times, you will be a pro :)
I guess this is about as clear as mud
Welcome to the Forum

Last edited:
Reactions: Ssyko
I presume you are talking about the plate that
sits just under the heat exchanger tubes! ...

Welcome to the Forum

First of all, thank you so much for your response. I don't have much in the way of assistance here, and a friendly voice is most welcome.

Unfortunately, I don't think we're talking about the same stove. This one is pretty old, made in 1998:

20201121_122955.jpg

The baffle plates look like this:

20201121_122851.jpg

And inside the firebox looks like this (I have the firebox backing in place, 3 pieces, but the "firebrick" cover is not installed yet. One of the baffle plates is hung on one side, but not at all sure if it's correct):

20201121_122919.jpg
20201121_122935.jpg

So this is what I'm working on. Maybe someone will see this and say, "Ah! I had one of those, 15 years ago, and took it to the scrap yard!"

Thanks so much, again,

Eric

Sorry I have not seen any like that Ssyko may have or j Remington
I think the steel brick plate has to be installed first and those plates are put on on top
of the brick plate but that's just a guess

Wow I’ve never seen one like that either. With out sitting in front of the stove for studying I wouldn’t even have a good guess. Sorry elester :(

Again, thank you both for taking the time to respond. It does make a difference. I've got the thing all cleaned up and put together. I am not at all sure if I have the baffles where they belong--it is confounding to be unable to remember where they were. I even wonder if they were in the right place before. Hard to say: very old stove, inherited with the place we live, probably had a few different owners in its past.

If it seems to be working OK I will post a photo of the way I put it together, in the unlikely event that a similar unfortunate comes along.

I hope you and yours are well. @Ssyko: I am a native New Yorker, born in Troy. I see that your town is not far from Watertown. Used to travel through there nearly every summer on our way to Perth, ON, a place that johneh may know.

Best regards,

EL

Used to travel through there nearly every summer on our way to Perth, ON, a place that johneh may know.
It is a small world live about 12 k north of Perth just outside the village of Lanark
(Now to Confuse some) On the Missippi River Good luck with your stove
enjoy the heat

Reactions: Ssyko
Actually I recall that Mississippi River. And I have probably been to Lanark, though it's long long ago. If I'm not mistaken, the county that Perth is in is Lanark County? My family used to rent a cottage outside of Perth every summer from the late 1950s until some time probably in the 90s, from a man named Bert Kerr, who was an insurance broker in Ottawa. Mr Kerr took my brothers and I fishing out in the bush many times, and Dad used to like to drive all over the countryside up there when we got bored with swimming in the Tay River, fishing, or whatever else we kids got up to. We had some wonderful summers in that place.

I'm sitting in front of the stove right now and it's burning. I'm pretty sure that the way I have the baffles is not the way they were, but they may have been put in incorrectly, or they may be now. I'll keep an eye on how it runs & burns. It's a pretty old stove, as I mentioned, and it's been troublesome this year, so we may think about replacing it. We'll see.

Here's the finished product. If I learn more, I'll post it here.
20201121_152637.jpg
20201121_182022.jpg

Reactions: johneh and Ssyko
I highly doubt that is the way those baffles are suppose to go in!. I think you have the baffles switched forwards/backwards and flipped, the wider section should face the back of the stove, the tapered section should tuck into the front corner, and it should be angled to deflect ash back into ash bin and slow accumulation behind corners. Call or email Enviro with ser#, date and model , they will get back to you in a few days as its a busy time of year. I tried looking up your model and everyone I see it appears those plates are welded in place as they do not show those plates in the parts breakdown of the three manuals I grazed over. I have a 2004 Enviro Windsor and it shares some similarities in design, Eviro aka Envirofire has always been helpful.

Thank you -- I agree, I don't think I have them in there the right way. Do you happen to have an email address or phone number for Envirofire? I scoured their website and came up with nothing.

I do have a manual for the stove, but the drawings are not helpful to me. I'll attach the manual in case it will help someone else.

Attachments

• Pellet stove -- owner's manual --efiv_i.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 196
Well, it seems I should say that I found the solution. It took a long, long time. It's not that easy to put into words but I'll put a couple of photos here of the correct assembly, just before screwing down the firebrick backing.

The thing that saved me (other than stubbornness, which I inherited from my mother) was a photo I had taken of the pellet stove about 2 years ago when we first moved in. I had had a service man come and check it out, clean it, and show me the basics:

November_2018_cropped.jpg

I studied that picture for a long time with parts in hand, and finally realized how it goes together:

20201124_165234.jpg

That photo shows the baffle in place with the firebrick piece sitting loosely in front of the backing plate. Once that is put into place and its screws tightened, all is secure.

By the way, in searching the internet, I discovered an outfit in Montana that has a lot of pellet stove parts, including ones for my stove--which is pretty old. It's at https://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/ -- the folks there were as helpful as they could be to my rather impossible to explain or answer question. I have them bookmarked for future reference as I will probably need some pieces for this stove sooner or later.

Thanks to all of you who replied to my original post.

Reactions: johneh
Lol that looks a lot better! ;)