Trouble shooting Big Buck 2600 Blower Motor which kicks off to quickly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

silo126

Mar 25, 2022
springfield, mo
We moved into a house built in the 60's. The fireplace stove maybe that old. From what we can tell it's a 2600 Big Buck. The blower got plenty of use through the winter but seems to have died at the end of the season. We found a replacement in a 1MBS1 motor. Installed it. The blower ran for maybe 5-10 minutes then shuts itself off. It wouldn't turn back on for another 20 minutes or more and would only run for maybe 5 minutes. The longer we have it switched on it seems like the longer between times it will actually kick on and run and the shorter each actual run time (if that makes sense). Maybe it's taking longer to switch back on because of the heat built up from the fire?
There was a fiber/aspestos like ring (maybe 4 inches in diameter) around the end of the shaft of the old motor. Another one of these rings did not come with the new motor and we did not reattach the old ring onto the new motor. No idea if that would matter.
Notice the replacement motor is called a ''3 speed' ' though there are only 2 setting with the switch. Not labeled, guessing ''on'' and ''manuel''.
Having read Buck stove blower posts on this site I see some people have problems with the thermostat, though we didn't see a thermostat on this unit. Maybe it is attached to the far side of the back end of the stove that we couldn't see (well) because of the angle we had it pulled out and sitting?
Also read a post or two about where some people had mounted their motor needed to be moved/adjusted slightly, but we didn't see any way to mount the thing but a single spot.

Any insight on what we should be looking at to trouble shoot would be appriciated. Thanks

you are going to have to use a volt meter after the thermostat or snap switch. to see if the motor is getting voltage or not when not running. if it is then the motor is shutting down on thermal overload. which means it's getting too hot and will fail if kept running like that.

Yes, thermal overload was my thought, but I am wondering why this is happening with a new motor. The fiber ring may have been a ceramic fiber insulator. If so, it is necessary.

I'd speak to service sales.com They support the old buck stove. They sell the motor and thermostatic sensors. The motor they sell needs oiled every year. If you don't oil the motor it will burn out. If you have too hot a fire it will also cook.
You probably need a new motor and thermostat sensor.
I've maintained a 2700 for 10 yrs.

We moved into a house built in the 60's. The fireplace stove maybe that old. From what we can tell it's a 2600 Big Buck. The blower got plenty of use through the winter but seems to have died at the end of the season. We found a replacement in a 1MBS1 motor. Installed it. The blower ran for maybe 5-10 minutes then shuts itself off. It wouldn't turn back on for another 20 minutes or more and would only run for maybe 5 minutes. The longer we have it switched on it seems like the longer between times it will actually kick on and run and the shorter each actual run time (if that makes sense). Maybe it's taking longer to switch back on because of the heat built up from the fire?
There was a fiber/aspestos like ring (maybe 4 inches in diameter) around the end of the shaft of the old motor. Another one of these rings did not come with the new motor and we did not reattach the old ring onto the new motor. No idea if that would matter.
Notice the replacement motor is called a ''3 speed' ' though there are only 2 setting with the switch. Not labeled, guessing ''on'' and ''manuel''.
Having read Buck stove blower posts on this site I see some people have problems with the thermostat, though we didn't see a thermostat on this unit. Maybe it is attached to the far side of the back end of the stove that we couldn't see (well) because of the angle we had it pulled out and sitting?
Also read a post or two about where some people had mounted their motor needed to be moved/adjusted slightly, but we didn't see any way to mount the thing but a single spot.

Any insight on what we should be looking at to trouble shoot would be appriciated. Thanks
I put in a new thermostat, new harness and new 3-speed motor on my 27000 and so far so good. The thermostat is mounted inside the air intake vent just above the 2-setting switch (Auto and Manual). The new thermostat looks nothing like the old stock one and mounting modification was necessary. Also the new motor is a bit different as well, the rear fan blade is external on a stem and not enclosed like the original.

I'd speak to service sales.com They support the old buck stove. They sell the motor and thermostatic sensors. The motor they sell needs oiled every year. If you don't oil the motor it will burn out. If you have too hot a fire it will also cook.
You probably need a new motor and thermostat sensor.
I've maintained a 2700 for 10 yrs.
I have had an old 27000 for 2 years. It's had a weird glitch where the blower works fine going up through the temps but when the stove cools down it won't go down to medium it will just kick on and off every second or 2 until the stove is cold. I just switch it into manual mode to keep the motor from burning up. I'm assuming this is a thermostat issue but it's odd that it works fine when the stove is warming up. Have you ever run into this issue before?

I just had a glitch that couldn't figure out. I swapped out all. Motor, harness and thermostat. I actually had a new thermostat that wasn't working.