Trouble starting Vermont Castings Propane stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Colt73

Mar 13, 2018
Sidney, Maine
I have a Vermont Castings outside vented propane Stove I have had for years and have an odd problem with starting. Has a simple three position rocker switch and when I turn it on it does nothing, if I leave the switch in the on position sometimes it may start all on its own an hour later or a week later or not at all, seems to have a mind of its own? Sometimes wiggling the wires helps but not always. Thoughts?

Get yourself a multimeter &read the millivolts on the thermopile at the valve terminal block.
Set the meter to volts DC & touch one contact to the TP screw & the other to the TH-TP screw.
Report back with your readings...

Reactions: Tech Guru