Truck Tires..The Beast Needs New Feets !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
'05 F250, coming up on 49,000 miles with original Michelline's :eek:

Cant spend a fortune. Not hauling currently, maybe a few times this coming show season. Don't off road, don't beach.

5 miles to work, 15 miles to the barn, not much other driving currently, aside from market & errands.

I figure the 2 fronts on one paycheck, and the 2 backs on the next, or the one after.

Are cheapo tires from Wallyworld or Pep Boys ok?

265/70R17.

I figure next go round I can upgrade, but for now, need new sneakers to be safe.

I got a set of tires put on a few years ago at Pep Boys, not bad actually.
Just don't let them do any suspension alignment.

I bought these a little over 2 years ago and have almost 45,000 on them and they still have a good bit of life in them. They are quiter then the B.F. Goodrich that came on my truck and cheaper then the Michellines I wanted to buy yet they are rated about as good. Also my gas mileage went up when I put them on.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...utoMake=Toyota&autoYear=2003&autoModel=Tacoma 4wd Extra Cab&autoModClar=

I'm not sure about the link working but they are Kumho Road Venture on Tirerack.com, they get great reviews there.

I've never been steered wrong making selections based on tire rack reviews and tests.

What's LR E ?

Think I'm gonna get an education here.

LR E gives you the higher load ratings you want if you are towing. Given you have a 3/4 ton truck, that is probably what came on it.

Heavy duty Michellines <sp> are original. Really nice tires, just about done with their tread life (surprised they haven't dry rotted, but they haven't).

They passed inspection in November.

I just want to be safe.

I've bought from tire rack and been very pleased. Well, except that that tires are damn expensive any way you look at it.

Expensive, but needed, damn it.

Cooper Discoverer HT's. Have run 3 or 4 sets of them on various vehicles. Including a SRW 1-ton that towed a 20 foot gooseneck stock trailer. Got decent mileage (as decent as a 454 was going to get anyways...), they were quiet, they did snow just fine and were ok in the fields as long as it wasn't too muddy. Priced right for a name brand tire too. My last set I bought ran me just under $700 for 4 tires.

Dixie, if you haven't been, rotate the new tires every few thousand miles and you'll get a bit more life out of them. If you have, ignore me.:cool:
Follow the manufacturer recommended rotation pattern for your vehicle.
Tires aren't something to skimp on, if at all possible. I like the idea of 2 now, then 2 later. Just don't wait too long for the 2nd 2.
LR is load rating, E is for a heavier duty rating.
TireRack is good for all that info if you snoop around a little.
For your perusal: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=1&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2005&autoModel=F250 Super Cab 4wd&autoModClar=&width=265/&ratio=70&diameter=17&sortCode=50550&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=Q&minLoadRating=E&tab=All :cool:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp

Ask the shop you are going to use - they might give you a discount on the set or a discount on the mounting and balancing if you do all 4 tires at once. If so it would pay to save for a month and do it in one shot.

If not I agree with Dave, dont wait too long. Its a good idea to keep the tire wear as even as you can, especially on a 4x4.

And i also agree that tires are the one car thing worth spending as much as you can afford for best quality. Single most important safety item on the car.

Right now, I was thinking the best of what I have, to be replaced by something else ASAP.

Hankook are decent tires. I know many people who like the Dynapro ATM.

Thanks,Halligan !

Still looking.

In about 5 months, I'll be able to buy a "beater", and save the truck wear & tear. Drive it on Sundays :)

www.treadwright.com-
I can't vouch for these, but another forum member seems to like them. I will probably try a set this spring, the pricing is great, compared to local pricing.
I don't put more than 5-7K on my truck a year, these sound like a tough, economical alternative to the major brands.

SOME Hankook tires are decent, others are not. We have a set on our Odyssey and they are the worst tires I have ever driven with. They have no sidewall strength at all. Feels like you are driving on jello.

Your door sticker will specify that you use load range E tires. In the old days, this was referred to as a 10-ply tire.

I am currently running the Cooper a/t tires in stock size and LRE. They are nice and quiet though I have been getting flats with them, rock punches where gravel pokes right through the tread. In fact, I am currently using my spare tire with a flat cooper on the rim. Loads of fun changing tires on an F350. I bought at discount tire and they only cost about 160$ each.

I don't off-road this truck but I tow trailers and sometimes have to drive in grass or in the snow. HT tires seem to offer very little traction.

I think these are the ones I put on my F250 last summer. They seem to ride nice and handle well and don't make that much noise. Mine are 265/75 R16 LRE. I think I paid about $180 each from my local guy. His price was comparable to the mail order as it included mounting and balancing.
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/DISCOVERER-A-T3.aspx?tab=2

I got a set of the ATMs on my Ridgeline a couple of years ago and they've been great. Aggressive tread and good in mud and snow, but also pretty quiet on the roadways. Wear well, too. I'd highly recommend.

Status
Not open for further replies.