Trying to choose a saw...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noremi

Mar 1, 2009
kentucky
I have the opportunity to trade a 455 Rancher NIB to a 346 XP NIB for $137 +tax OR I have the opportunity to trade a 455 Rancher NIB to a 372 NIB for $260 +tax.

I was wondering if I would be able to tell a difference in the 346 and the 455. I know the 372 is a lot more saw but would I be able to tell enough of a difference in the 346 and 455 to make the trade? Also, how would the 5100 Dolmar compare to a 346 or 455?

I appreciate anyones opinion or advice on this!

The 346XP is a great smaller pro-saw. It is certainly of a higher quality than the 455, the power difference is insignificant, but they have a very different RPM range. The 372XP is also a heck of a saw, but now we are talking a whole different league in terms of power output. What and how much are you cutting each year? I will let others jump in with the Dolmar comparison, but by chance would a 357XP also be an option?

346XP the ultimate .325 pitch chain. 3/16 round file.lightest weight $490.00 16"
372XP the ultimate 3/8 pitch chain 7/32 round file. heavy middle weight $810.00 20"
357XP .325, 3/8 pitch chain optional light middle weight $ 700.00 20"

it's kinda of a stay sharp/money vs carry wieght thing

I asked about the 357 and the dealer said $750.00 for that paticular saw so I never went any further but I have read some reviews and I think the 359 might suit my needs better.I will be cutting quite a bit of firewood, some up to 20inches hickory&oak;. Would that be much of a noticable difference from the 455 or should I keep what I have? I just thought I would try to upgrade while i could.

How much is quite a bit of firewood? The 357XP is in a different league than the 359, but if you are not cutting all that much then a pro-saw like the 357XP may be nice, but not necessary. Depending on the volume of wood, any of these saws can do the trick. If you will have lots of that 20" Hickory/Oak then the 346XP is probably a little undersized. With the saws listed and assuming lots of cutting in the 20" and under range, I would be wanting a 55-60+cc saw. If you will be cutting quite a bit on a yearly basis you cant go wrong with a pro-grade like the 357XP, but it you want to save a bit and stick with the Rancher or 359 you will be fine.

I'd keep the 455 for a felling/limbing saw and buy a 357XP or 372XP for working up firewood. But that's just me.

I'd push a little harder on the 357 price. There is a big jump in price from the 346 to the 357 but I'd say $200 and your saw would work.

I think husky missed the boat on pricing the 357. Buy a 372. Or if you are staying in the 60cc range the 359 OR MS 361.

HittinSteel said:
I think husky missed the boat on pricing the 357.

They are still a $100 below the cost of a 372XP; that seems about right to me. That said, I bought two a year ago for quite a bit less than the 2009 price. There has been a price jump, but it looks similar across all of the XP (pro-grade) saws.

I found a brand new, hold-over 2005 357XP for less than a new 359. On my receipt it said the list was $609 for the 357XP. The same saw now is $699. $90 over 4 years is about a 4% increase per year. With so many things dramatically increasing or going down in price lately its hard to remember what normal inflation was like!

Sealcove said:
HittinSteel said:

They are still a $100 below the cost of a 372XP; that seems about right to me. That said, I bought two a year ago for quite a bit less than the 2009 price. There has been a price jump, but it looks similar across all of the XP (pro-grade) saws.

But, about a $100 more than an MS 361

HittinSteel said:
Sealcove said:
HittinSteel said:

They are still a $100 below the cost of a 372; that seems about right to me. That said, I bought two a year ago for quite a bit less than the 2009 price. There has been a price jump, but it looks similar across all of the XP (pro-grade) saws.

yes but the 361 is a 59 cc saw and the 372 is a 70cc saw thats the difference for stihl to meet the 372 you would have to go with the 441 about 100.00 bucks more

I was comparing the 357 and 361 which are both 60 cc class saws. 357 is about $100 more.

When I was doing my research, the 357xp priced itself out of consideration.

HittinSteel said:
I was comparing the 357 and 361 which are both 60 cc class saws. 357 is about $100 more.

When I was doing my research, the 357xp priced itself out of consideration.
ok sorry, thought you were talking about the 372 vs 361

no problem, doesn't look like I was very clear. I settled on a 260, so what do I know anyway :)

HittinSteel said:
no problem, doesn't look like I was very clear. I settled on a 260, so what do I know anyway :)
Iam trying to trade in my 180 for the 260 bought the 180 for my son-in-law to learn and he's ready to move up

I traded in a 210 and the difference is night and day with the RSC chain. One cuts limbs, the other is a legit light weight all around firewood saw up to the length of the bar. Love it so far and I haven't even opened the muffler yet!

HittinSteel said:

It sounds like you have access to a great MS361 price, because my local shops have the two models within about $30 of each other. Both are great saws; yes I do use both. I am not particularly brand loyal as long as it is pro-grade, but in this specific case I would pay extra for a 357XP.

Okay, I was using $600 for the 361 and $700 for the 357. Seems to be the price in my area. Never asked about lowering the 357 after some sticker shock, maybe the dealer would move lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.