trying to get clearances right

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loneeagle15

Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2007
Montana
Sorry if I am rehashing old posts butafter looking and looking (I finally went through ALL of the posts in the the hearth room) I am now totally confused and at the same time so full of info it hurts. Any way I want to be safe when our new stove is installed so here goes- We are buying a hearthstone mansfield the side clearance is listed at 18" to a combustable. We ae putting cultured stone on the walls next to and behind the stove we want to keep the rear clerance of 19" for air circulation,it is going in a corner but not at a 45 degree install but at a 90 degree so the heat will be focused into the center of the room. The stone we picked out requires us to put up metal lathe and apply it with cement mortar addind about 3-4" includeing the width of the stone(which is cosdered an noncombustible) and will be bringing the stone 1-2' above the stove. We do not want to have an air gap on the wall. I also do not want to get too much heat build up between the stone wall and the soapstone.
So with all of that said how close can I place the stove to the wall, is still 18" to the drywall? (my rough guess according to the k value chart here is I will have an r value of around 15 or so, as the Rv goes up does the Kv go down? or up?)
Thanks for your help JD

You have it right the measurement is from the drywall. All you are doing is is installing a non combustaible surface in front without the air space. No deductions can be taken so 19" as planned from the sheer rock is fine, if 18" is the listed clearance. Good luck with your project.. A reminder, there are two clearance issues if using single wall pipe that too requires 18" from combustiables.
That clearance can be reduced with either a pipe shield or using double wall connector pipe. The second clearance issue, is the actual stove placement, which should be ok. Don't forget proper floor protection.

Elk thanks for fast reply I did forget to mention we are useing double wall pipe and just to be sure I want 18" from the rock not the drywall?
Thanks

even better from the rock location extra margine of safety is a plus

Excellent!!! Elk thanks again for all of your help
JD

Status
Not open for further replies.