Turmans $275 per Ton Home Depot brand offered at $217 per ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lower bucks

Jan 27, 2013
I tried a few bags of turmans last month they had little or no ash.I usually buy from HD but these pellets produce alot of ash.Do you think its worth the extra $60 to have a cleaner burning pellet.

It really depends on you, are you getting decent heat with the HD pellets? Do they struggle during the middle of winter to keep your house at a temp you want it at? Do you mind cleaning the ash more frequently or is it worth $60/ton to not have to clean it as often? It really is up to you, no right or wrong answers. I know a lot of members swear by the Turmans but I haven't burned them. Perhaps you pick up 1-2 tons for the mid winter freeze and fill in the rest of your pellet stash with the HD pellets for late Fall/early winter and late winter (shoulder seasons) when you don't need as much heat and you can keep your $60/ton in your pocket.

Do i, no. but i think it IS worth spending 20 more on something more middle of the line over some of the hd. a little more heat, a little less ash.

Honestly, I am sick of the ash and frequent cleaning of my stove. I purchased premium softies this year, like the Turmans great heat and little ash.Premium pellets got my vote;)

I got sick of cleaning my stove as well. I had purchased NEWP and vacuumed it out literally every other day. With the Turman I clean once a week. My time is worth something. HOWEVER, I used to be able to pick up Turman for $249/ton early buy, last year $257/ton, this year $275. If the big box stores keep their prices somewhere around $209, getting tough to not make an argument to at least buy a supply of shoulder pellets at the cheaper price. For the first time, I am actually seriously thinking about it.

At 275/ton I'd personally go with the Turmans for the middle of the season. I would get 2 tons turman and 2 tons cheapo. That way when I'm out of town or lazy I could throw the Turmans in and when I'm feeling a little antsy and want to scrape, bang, and vacuum my stove I could burn the cheap stuff for a few weeks. Just my opinion. I have a VERY small ash pan with my insert so the Turmans go about a week and a half without needing to be emptied and the cheap stuff can go 4-7 days depending.

If you have a Lowes near you, see if they have the Somersets. A whole lot better than NEWPS and use them in the shoulder season and save the Turmans for the cold:)

Turman Wood Pellets are typically one of my most expensive pellets. They are manufactured in VA, and the cost of trucking them into CT is astronomical. Yet, despite this, every ton of Turman Pellets that I have been allocated to my company through June, is already sold. Why? Because people call up right away and buy them up. So, are they worth it?...To many people, they are. But not to everyone. There is only one person that can answer your question for you, and that is YOU!

Reactions: Lousyweather
Status
Not open for further replies.