Turmans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Wow.. a name from the past....
forgot about turmans.. didn't know they we're still around..
I thought they were ok last year. The price went up this year so I went with Vermont’s for about the same price.

I don'y know what happened to these but they are absolute junk this year.

Wow, funny you should say that. I just ran 6 bags through to try and found them reasonably hot and VERY low ash - lowest I've measured that wasn't Douglas Fir.

So - what didn't you like? (hopefully before I go and buy 3 tons ;) )

Thanks,
- Jeff

Mine seem to be burning the same as the last 4 or 5 years that I've been burning them. Why do you saw they are junk this year?

What's the date code on your bags? Mine are 12-17 (picked them up this season though)

I'm approaching the end of my first ton, no issues to report. Slight disappointment on burn time, but that's not uncommon.

I did notice there was a lot of moisture inside the pallet wrap. Presumed that was from my vendor's outside storage. Removing the white over-wrap cleared it up the next day.

Cheers,
- Jeff

Burning 5 tons/year in Harman Accentra 52i and and Harman P38. The fines dust is horrible. Pouring creates a cloud. Need to clean stove after pouring into hopper. Never again. With my wife’s sensitivity to dust, next heating season I will test various brands before ordering. Previously I had great experience with Turman. Contacted Turman and they responded that it should only occur with several bags. I did see an improvement in the first 10 or so bags of the second ton, but the dust was present in all the remaining bags. Ordered CornVac to remediate the situation. No more Turman.

Burning 5 tons/year in Harman Accentra 52i and and Harman P38. The fines dust is horrible. Pouring creates a cloud. Need to clean stove after pouring into hopper. Never again. With my wife’s sensitivity to dust, next heating season I will test various brands before ordering. Previously I had great experience with Turman. Contacted Turman and they responded that it should only occur with several bags. I did see an improvement in the first 10 or so bags of the second ton, but the dust was present in all the remaining bags. Ordered CornVac to remediate the situation. No more Turman.
Interesting.. i burn top softies and usually always get some dust when pouring..

I purchased 6 tons of Turman pellets for this season (delivered October 2020). Almost through the 5th ton, maybe even a little more...some of the bags are a little 'dusty' when filling the hopper, but no big deal. The heat produced by my P68 with the Turmans has been great. I have been burning the same amount for the last four years. Ash is low, I generally do a shut total shutdown every month or so, which keeps the Harman chugging right along. The only gripe I can identify about Turman pellets is that the previous season I had about 15 bags that weren't sealed properly, and got wet even though the pallets were totally wrapped. My dealer did give credit and 'fixed' things for me this year. I will likely get one more ton of pellets--if there's Turmans, that's what I'll be purchasing. I had snow at my house in northcentral Pennsylvania on 5/6/2020--hopefully things warm up and stay that way this year!