Two in one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hillcrest

Dec 4, 2018
Ohio
i have two wood stoves in one flue. I realize this isn’t code but want to know if it is ok due to both being the same fuel. Also, this code was implemented long before my house was built, how did this happen?

Happened illegally. Of course if your house is like 200 years old then they're was no code to govern unless you were in a large city maybe. And this would have been done by the insurance companies back then. My house is about 130 years old and the chimney on end had three openings of stove pipes. One on each of three levels. The other chimney only had one pipe opening. At that time coal was king and there were no creosote worries. Kevin

You also had plenty of ventilation through walls and around windows. There wasn't much chance of CO poisoning.

The work might have been done by a homeowner who wasn't aware that it was a bad idea also.

You also had plenty of ventilation through walls and around windows. There wasn't much chance of CO poisoning.

The work might have been done by a homeowner who wasn't aware that it was a bad idea also.
People also died from co poisoning then they just didnt know it.