U39 regency soot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lmm

Dec 4, 2018
I bought a Regency U39 in January from a local dealer. It ran fine for around a month. Then it started sooting up. To the point of shutting down. Dealer has changed main valve. Changed aeration multiple times. Checked fuel rates. Finally replaced whole stove with a new unit, same thing happened, only it soots up quickly. Unit is converted to propane. Vents vertical about 18 in and then goes horizontal about 18 in. Stove worked good for the first month. No issues. Dealer is stumped and so is regency. I read something on here about vent tubes splitting and creating this, but I can't find it again. Any help!!

Check the horizontal run, especially where the pipe meets the wall thimble.
If it's separated even slightly, it will be drawing in oxygen depleted exhaust gas.
That screws up the ATF mixture & will cause sooting as it's running too rich.

Check the horizontal run, especially where the pipe meets the wall thimble.
If it's separated even slightly, it will be drawing in oxygen depleted exhaust gas.
That screws up the ATF mixture & will cause sooting as it's running too rich.
last time dealer was here they had vent pipe off and actually ran stove with no vent connected. Same thing with door closed unit slowly starves itself for oxygen. Open door and it improves.

I would say there is something blocking the incoming air.
The aeration should be wide open for LP...
What baffles me is the fact that TWO units exhibit the same issue.

I would say there is something blocking the incoming air.
The aeration should be wide open for LP...
What baffles me is the fact that TWO units exhibit the same issue.
Tech's have checked the incoming air pipes that route down in the back of stoves. Aeration is open all the way. And yes both stoves do the same thing without vents connected. Dealer is waiting for a new burner unit to try that, but I'm not seeing how that could be the issue. Wouldn't think burner would be bad in both. Plus like I said earlier the first stove worked fine for a month????? Dealer says they will put in a heat n glo if I want. Know nothing about them.

That may be your issue.
The exhaust is probably being blown into the intake.
A High Wind cover may help, but there's no guarantee.
I have seen this issue before & it was with a U39.
We ended up pulling the unit, refunding the customer's
money & repairing the home.

Last edited:
That may be your issue.
The exhaust is probably being blown into the intake.
A High Wind cover may help, but there's no guarantee.
I have seen this issue before & it was with a U39.
We ended up pulling the unit, refunding the customer's
money & repairing the home.
But, with the vent pipes completely taken off? And basically we only have strong winds once in awhile. When the stove was working fine before we actually watched to see if the stronger winds had any effect and didn't notice anything. In fact the first time it sooted up and shut down it was calm. I know the Regency folks had mentioned a different type of cap but when it sooted up with no pipe connected and they watched a video we had taken , they kind of changed their thinking.

Ok. I misread the post with the venting removed.
If you adjust the air shutter (aeration) while the unit is burning, does the flame pattern change at all?
I'm wondering if there is something preventing the air shutter from functioning
& it's in the closed (or NEARLY closed) position...
I once had a problem with a Hearthstone gas stove that had exhibited these
symptoms, & the air shutter was jammed against a small container of touch
up paint that had somehow managed to get in the shutter area during shipping & handling...
I didn't figure it out until I pulled the burner completely out of the stove.

Ok. I misread the post with the venting removed.
If you adjust the air shutter (aeration) while the unit is burning, does the flame pattern change at all?
I'm wondering if there is something preventing the air shutter from functioning
& it's in the closed (or NEARLY closed) position...
I once had a problem with a Hearthstone gas stove that had exhibited these
symptoms, & the air shutter was jammed against a small container of touch
up paint that had somehow managed to get in the shutter area during shipping & handling...
I didn't figure it out until I pulled the burner completely out of the stove.
I believe there was some difference. If your talking about the shutter or air baffle down by the burner they worked on it on both stoves. One was kind of pretty hard to adjust because of a broken set screw.I believe the brand new stove worked ok. I remember they wanted it set in the almost full open position. I need to call dealer today to see whats going on because I know the freight situation is messed up with the virus going around and a week ago getting stuff from Canada was almost impossible.