UK suspends quality requirement for pellet fuel for heating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whit

Sep 15, 2009
Southern VT
One thing preventing the US pellet mills from exporting pellet fuel for heating to the UK and Europe, given the interruption of supply from Russia, is the requirement that pellets carry ENplus certification -- which is a different grading system than used here in the US. The UK just announced suspension of that requirement. This can facilitate export of heating pellets from the US to the UK this winter. WIll this mean shortages and higher prices for us here?

Reactions: VintageGal
One thing preventing the US pellet mills from exporting pellet fuel for heating to the UK and Europe, given the interruption of supply from Russia, is the requirement that pellets carry ENplus certification -- which is a different grading system than used here in the US. The UK just announced suspension of that requirement. This can facilitate export of heating pellets from the US to the UK this winter. WIll this mean shortages and higher prices for us here?

That depends on many factors. Shipping costs being the biggest one. Where will they be bagged? Are there even any container ships available? How many US based mills are close to a port city? How popular are pellet stoves in Europe?

Reactions: tbear853
That depends on many factors. Shipping costs being the biggest one. Where will they be bagged? Are there even any container ships available? How many US based mills are close to a port city? How popular are pellet stoves in Europe?

Currency exchange rates usually play a role as well. I don’t know what the sterling rate is but at one time it was much higher then the dollar.

All energy sources are going through the roof. I usually heat with anthracite coal. Pre pandemic it was about $250 a ton. During the pandemic it went up to $375 a ton. Now it’s $525 a ton. That’s why you see me on the pellet forum now 😆

Pellets just went up $75 a ton here in a week though 😞 I may be migrating to the wood forum. 😐