Unsure which pellet/corn stove to buy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rxwoman1961

Feeling the Heat
Oct 12, 2020
SE Nebraska
Hi all,
I have been lurking on this site for several weeks as I attempt to do my homework on choosing a used pellet/corn stove to heat my old farmhouse with.
I live in an 100+ yr old drafty farmhouse out in the country with no furnace. I have an old Siegler oil burner that I had hoped years ago to use biodiesel in, but that never panned out and I have decided it's not worth fighting anymore trying make run properly. My daughter heats with a used Harman pellet stove for the last few years in her house and she loves it! She says if she could do it again she would look for a multi-fuel heater that she could burn pellets OR corn in.
So I'm in the market for a used pellet/corn stove, but there are sooo many different manufacturers and I am not sure which a good and which are not.
For example, I loved the look of the Bixby stoves, but then I read that they are a nightmare to own, the company no longer exists, and one should stear clear of them. However, there are several people on this forum who seem to love them! So, I'm confused regarding the Bixby stoves.
I am kind of interested in a St. Croix Auburn which most people seem to agree is a good stove, and the seller is a reasonable distance from me, but he wants $1000 for it!
Anyway, I'm hoping for some advice and recommendations on here. Thank you, I appreciate it.

I am a fan of the St Croix Auburn stove. That is what I have and it has been years of trouble free service. Depends on age/condition might be a fair deal, tend to think it is a bit high. But bear in mind I am very cheap.

make sure you look at the BTU of what you ae buying... get it to small and you will be kicking yourself. make sure its also a dual fuel as corn is more corrosive in a stove from what i have read..

I am a fan of the St Croix Auburn stove. That is what I have and it has been years of trouble free service. Depends on age/condition might be a fair deal, tend to think it is a bit high. But bear in mind I am very cheap.
Thank you. If the seller will take less for the Auburn I'm probably going to go with it, but he hasn't replied to my inquiries, so..