up-out vs. out-up, and cleaning...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cac4

Jul 11, 2008
Essex County, MA
Have an accentra free-standing, that will be a corner installation. Still stewing over the vent install. I was thinking, if I go straight out through the wall, it must be kind of difficult to disconnect the pipe for cleaning. I've read where you should disconnect things so that you can remove/inspect/clean the exhaust temp probe, which is right there in the exhaust outlet. But what I'm wondering is, how can that pipe be disconnected, after its initial install, when everything is siliconed-up, glued into the thimble, and pipe sections stuck together...and outside, the rest of the pipe is secured to the wall, etc, etc. it ain't gonna move. So...you must have to pull the stove away from the pipe. (?) it weighs 350 lbs. Its hard to move when its sitting up on a furniture dolly. how the heck am I gonna pull it off the pipe? (and even worse: how am I gonna get it back on?)

Up, then out...I can see how a long length of vertical pipe is going to be able to flex more, and be more easily detachable from the back of the stove. But it may require that the stove sit further away from the walls...its a small house, and I really don't want it sticking way out into the room. otoh...its gotta be cleaned, and access to the rear is required. So maybe I need to be able to pull the stove out in either case. ( I've seen posted that some have used those furniture-moving thingies that make heavy things slide easily. maybe I should have the stove sit on those. they wouldn't be visible, with this stove).

up...then out: in case I ever need to replace the stove, the next one most likely won't have the same vent location, but the up-out pipe can be easily changed. If you go straight out...this could be a big problem.

wife doesn't like the "up--out stovepipe" look. she'd prefer straight out.
cleaning the pipe/tee would be easier if it were outside.

thoughts?

Chuck although I haven't purchased my stove yet. I am seriously thinking about "up-out". I had the same reasoning that if in the future I changed stoves I would not need to punch another hole in my the side of my home. One dealer told me he could order vent pipe already painted a nice black rather than trying to paint it myself. I also like the idea of having some vertical rise in the vent pipe for a natural draft to avoid any smoke if there was a power failure. So I've got to have vent pipe showing somewhere and I think I would prefer it on the inside rather than running up the outside of my home.

Hey Chuck, do you have the stove yet? Take a good look. The Harman's all have detachable exhaust stubs; 3 bolts and it is gasketed.
But better still, if you do a straight out vent config., when it comes time to clean, inside the stove (in the fire box behind the ash pan) you just remove the exhaust blower cover and viola you can look right out the pipe. So to clean the vent you remove the ESP and run a brush through the vent. Done.

As for the cleaning issue, a piece of flexible garden hose in the end of a shop vac can do wonders. I also have a piece of 1/2 inch plastic tubing that I use to clean the bottom of the tee and inside the stove. I stuck the plastic tubing into a 1/2 to 3/4 pipe bushing that kinda screws into the extension piece of the shop vac. When I need the small hose, I just slip the extension onto the end of the shop vac hose.

Parrot Head said:
Hey Chuck, do you have the stove yet? Take a good look. The Harman's all have detachable exhaust stubs; 3 bolts and it is gasketed.
But better still, if you do a straight out vent config., when it comes time to clean, inside the stove (in the fire box behind the ash pan) you just remove the exhaust blower cover and viola you can look right out the pipe. So to clean the vent you remove the ESP and run a brush through the vent. Done.

I do have the stove; just haven't looked at it that close, I guess. Its in my basement. (rolled it into the walk-out basement door when it was delivered; was shipped long-distance.)

I remember seeing on some youtube video that exhaust pipes are that "bolt-on" type; but if the pipe itself won't move...

the cleaning demo was on another model. I was assuming that I had to get in the back to access the ESP. But I can get it from the front? I suppose that means I shouldn't ever have to disconnect the vent...until its time for a new stove, anyway.
I should still be able to pass a brush through there, even w/ a 45-degree elbow in place? that would be great...push most of the ash out to the tee, (outside the house), and let it fall out onto the ground out there, instead of in my living room.

you can take out the esp from behind the rear panel. Can't remember right now if it is on the right side or left, but it is just inboard of where the tailpipe bolts on. 1/4"hex head tek screw and it pulls right out.

also, to get the cover off the exhaust blower you first must remove the covers for the heat exchanger as they sit on top of the blower cover. And a 45 elbow will not hinder you.

I elected to go up and out. With this set up, and a T connection at the base, I’ll have easy access for cleaning. I my case, straight out was not an option because of the cement wall. (raised ranch 3 feet in the ground on three sides.) I have to admit, I would have opted for this installation anyway. Several web sites on pellet stove installation stated that having some sort of vertical pipe was advisable to improve draft especially should you loose power while you your stove is running. With the straight out, you have a risk of the room filling with smoke. One stove shop in this area. who has been in business several years, says that he always goes up 3 feet either up and out, or out and up
I also have noted that the pipe is very warm. That has to be giving off some heat in the home instead of going outside. Black pipe is available, but I just painted mine with high temp paint, It is in our family room so being formal didn’t seem to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.