update to yesterdays disaster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oneway

Jan 25, 2014
hilton ny
i got home from work at midnite, momma had the house very toasty, 76 in stove room 73 rest of house. she read through this forum and decided i didn't know what the heck i was doing. she relit as if starting a new fire and all went great. this a.m. i started with smaller wood and it took right off. still blowing like mad but no trouble. thank you VERY much for the help. i put some pics of stove and chimney.

Attachments

• update to yesterdays disaster
    chimney 001.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 256
    chimney 002.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 250
    chimney 003.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 251
    chimney 004.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 257
    chimney 005.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 245
Good to hear. And welcome to mrs. oneway. Did you get a chance to read Gulland's article on chimneys and wind that I posted in the other thread? I would add 2-3 ft more chimney.

Note that the brace is incorrect. It should be attached upslope of the roof, 90 degrees off of present position. Was this done because of prevailing winds?

i did read through the article, thank you. my chimney guy said it sure couldn't hurt to add more, so i will change the last section from 1 ft. to a 3 ft. when i did the install the wind was blowing from the west, it is always windy so i braced it to hold up to mostly west / nw wind. the day after install ( no fire yet, waiting for inspection) wind was steady at 30 with gusts to 45. that was a good test. i plan on a redo in nicer weather using custom made ss tubing. the more i learn the more ?s i have so i'm sure i'll be back.

thanks to all for the info. and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.