Updating an old Quaker stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cscott

Feb 22, 2024
Maryland
Hello all! I am hoping to pick your brains and collected knowledge. We recently picked up a Quaker Standard Moravian Parlor Stove model 404. It needs some repairs; I need to make up a replacement hinge pintle, door latch, and standard stuff like replacing the gaskets. However, it looks like there is a likely lot of heat loss through the chimney due to the baffle design. Does anyone here have any experience with this stove that can speak to how well it runs? I am not new to fabrication and metalwork, having worked as a blacksmith and fabricator for 14 years, so I have debated whether I should fabricate a secondary air system and install a new baffle. I don't have access to my modeling software currently, but I have included in the photos an irritatingly unproportional hand-drawn picture of my thoughts on the secondary air system. I thought I could either replace the current baffle entirely or keep it in place and rest a baffle board on top of it and the air bars.

IMG_20240222_112613749_HDR.jpgIMG_20240222_112644963.jpgIMG_20240222_113530164.jpgIMG_20240222_115701257.jpg