Updating Fireplace Aesthetics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MelJoy

Jul 16, 2022
Plover, WI
I hopeful y'all can provide some constructive input to updating the design of this wood burning fireplace. We never use it, because it's located in a walkway, and we use a wood stove in the finished basement, so the update needed is mainly aesthetic. Any input be would be greatly appreciated!
•Located on a shady north end of home, so not a lot of sun coming in from that side.
•Recently had LVP flooring installed, and the contractors removed the tile from the hearth and underneath the firebox exposing a jumble of brick and mortar scrap and leaving a significant gap for bugs or furry critters to enter the living space from the chimney.
•Located in a walkway, so the hearth will need to be flush with the LVP floor.
•Painted the bricks white forever ago to lighten the weight of this behemoth and brighten the space. I'm not married to the white if there's another solution to minimizing and brightening this dominating thing.
•The firebox is slightly off center (see pics).
•The protruding brick vents are obstacles to every design idea I've come up with. Can I eliminate those? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they're there to bring more heat from the fire into the living space and don't necessarily need to exist.
•I don't have the means to convert this to a gas insert nor to demo this thing. Plus this chimney houses two flues, the second being from the wood stove downstairs.

IMG_20220716_104727915.jpg IMG_20220716_101315073.jpg IMG_20220716_101824789.jpg

I hopeful y'all can provide some constructive input to updating the design of this wood burning fireplace. We never use it, because it's located in a walkway, and we use a wood stove in the finished basement, so the update needed is mainly aesthetic. Any input be would be greatly appreciated!
•Located on a shady north end of home, so not a lot of sun coming in from that side.
•Recently had LVP flooring installed, and the contractors removed the tile from the hearth and underneath the firebox exposing a jumble of brick and mortar scrap and leaving a significant gap for bugs or furry critters to enter the living space from the chimney.
•Located in a walkway, so the hearth will need to be flush with the LVP floor.
•Painted the bricks white forever ago to lighten the weight of this behemoth and brighten the space. I'm not married to the white if there's another solution to minimizing and brightening this dominating thing.
•The firebox is slightly off center (see pics).
•The protruding brick vents are obstacles to every design idea I've come up with. Can I eliminate those? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they're there to bring more heat from the fire into the living space and don't necessarily need to exist.
•I don't have the means to convert this to a gas insert nor to demo this thing. Plus this chimney houses two flues, the second being from the wood stove downstairs.

View attachment 297076 View attachment 297077 View attachment 297078
Well first thing you need is a hearth extension. You have none and the one you had wasn't up to code. Now that it's torn out you are required to build it's replacement to code. That means cutting out the subfloor and and framing restructuring the framing then building a form to pour a slab for the extension. The forms either need to be removable or non-combustible. The slab also needs to be tied back into the main hearth slab with rebar drilled in at opposing angles. You can then finish however you want. And yes you could remove the protruding brick vents and cover them some other way. But they should remain open.

Well first thing you need is a hearth extension. You have none and the one you had wasn't up to code. Now that it's torn out you are required to build it's replacement to code. That means cutting out the subfloor and and framing restructuring the framing then building a form to pour a slab for the extension. The forms either need to be removable or non-combustible. The slab also needs to be tied back into the main hearth slab with rebar drilled in at opposing angles. You can then finish however you want. And yes you could remove the protruding brick vents and cover them some other way. But they should remain open.
Oh geez, ok. Thank you for the feedback! I will leave the hearth to the contractor to get up to code, but I still need help with the aesthetic design for the rest. My contractor will do what I ask but will provide no design input.

Oh geez, ok. Thank you for the feedback! I will leave the hearth to the contractor to get up to code, but I still need help with the aesthetic design for the rest. My contractor will do what I ask but will provide no design input.
Make sure your contractor actually brings it up to code. Sadly most will just lay tile over the subfloor and call it done.

Reactions: MelJoy
What is your budget? We talked about changing our stone fireplace. Got a quote to tile it. Ended up not doing anything. My first approach is less is more.

But you are right those protruding brick need to go. Grind cut or chisel out.

I’d get a large non combustible mantel to cover the area where the top ones are. Doesn’t need to have much depth. Then choose a tile that could be installed from the floor to under Mantel that you like. I’m think a long wood grained tile , installed vertically to look like wainscoting but not a natural color. Add a large mirror, art or picture above the mantel.