Upgrading furnace - Updated

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Medic21

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2017
Northern Indiana
Upgrading from an old Juca that has a cracked firebox to an EPA certified. Double wall smoke pipe should be in this week.

Added a new gas furnace and A/C this summer and have the wood furnace tied into the plenum. Also added a floor register on the first floor along with one in the basement both with dampeners in the ductwork that come directly off the wood furnace. I'll update when done.

IMG_0317.JPGIMG_0850.JPG IMG_0854.JPG IMG_0211.JPG

Will you be able to reduce that crazy long pipe run?

Will you be able to reduce that crazy long pipe run?

If your referring to the smoke pipe, yes. I will have a tee on the back of the stove at about a 45 degree about 36" of pipe a 90 and 30" of pipe to the chimney connector. Somewhere in there I'll add a damper to it too. The guy who installed the first one didn't know what he was doing. The slope was running backwards making a creosote mess.

If your referring to the smoke pipe, yes. I will have a tee on the back of the stove at about a 45 degree about 36" of pipe a 90 and 30" of pipe to the chimney connector. Somewhere in there I'll add a damper to it too. The guy who installed the first one didn't know what he was doing. The slope was running backwards making a creosote mess.
Good deal. Can you use a damper on a furnace? Since it’s an epa unit there’s no induction blower correct?

Good deal. Can you use a damper on a furnace? Since it’s an epa unit there’s no induction blower correct?

There is an induction blower it's not bolted on in the picture. There is a damper regulating the flow into the blower. I burnt the stove outside and did not need to use the blower to keep a good burn for 9 hours so I'm optimistic that I won't need it unless it's a mild day out. The installation instructions require a damper installed in the flue.

Last edited:
There is an induction blower it's not bolted on in the picture. There is a damper regulating the flow into the blower. I burnt the stove outside and did not need to use the blower to keep a good burn for 9 hours so I'm optimistic that I won't need it unless it's a mild day out. The installation instructions require a damper installed in the flue.
Hmm. Since it’s an automated system I can’t imagine a pipe damper is required. Perhaps they are wanting a barometric damper?

Reactions: Squisher
Does the firebox have secondary air tubes in it? For some reason I thought the epa furnaces omitted the induction fan.

Does the firebox have secondary air tubes in it? For some reason I thought the epa furnaces omitted the induction fan.

Yes it has the secondary tubes across the top of the firebox. It specifically lists the damper as a manual one in the basement instructions. I've never had a draft issue when it's under 30 outside. A 35 and humid day is another story though. Like today the chimney is down drafting making my basement smell good. Ready to close it up.

Yes it has the secondary tubes across the top of the firebox. It specifically lists the damper as a manual one in the basement instructions. I've never had a draft issue when it's under 30 outside. A 35 and humid day is another story though. Like today the chimney is down drafting making my basement smell good. Ready to close it up.
If the manual damper is closed and the furnace calls for heat and fires up the blower what happens? I assume it would be an undesirable situation. I’ve never heard of a pipe damper on a wood furnace, only barometric dampers.

If the manual damper is closed and the furnace calls for heat and fires up the blower what happens? I assume it would be an undesirable situation. I’ve never heard of a pipe damper on a wood furnace, only barometric dampers.

Good question. I used the damper on the old furnace when it was not in use other than that I would leave it open or partially closed based on the wind and draft it was pulling. Not scientific but, worked pretty well. I would think a barometric damper would puff smoke with a blower. Is there a gauge I can place below the damper to judge w.c. In the flue?

Good question. I used the damper on the old furnace when it was not in use other than that I would leave it open or partially closed based on the wind and draft it was pulling. Not scientific but, worked pretty well. I would think a barometric damper would puff smoke with a blower. Is there a gauge I can place below the damper to judge w.c. In the flue?
? Kinda out of my league with furnaces. I’ve never owned one till recently.

I’m on the fence about replacing the old dinosaur. The money might be better spent on insulating the basement, rather than a new furnace. With 37 acres I have no shortage of firewood and the even heat can’t be beat!

@Medic21, what model are you installing there...I'd like to look up the manual...I agree that a manual damper on a furnace is unheard of as far as a manufacturer recommending one...

@Medic21, what model are you installing there...I'd like to look up the manual...I agree that a manual damper on a furnace is unheard of as far as a manufacturer recommending one...

Interestingly, when I looked up the manual online be it is different than the one that came with it. It is a Shelter, Fire Chief, etc. the most updated manual references a manual damper and lists w.c. At .08.

Is there a Barometric damper for use with double wall pipe? I do like the manual one to shut it down quickly though.

But what model Shelter?
No double wall baro that I know of...should be able to make something work though.
They call for 0.08" draft?! That's the highest I've ever heard of...many people don't have chimneys that will reliably pull that...

What do you have for a chimney? Also puzzled by the call for a manual damper - most chimneys would he hard pressed to pull 0.08", as bren said. It could spike way past that though with gusting winds depending on the chimney - in that case a baro would be my preferred setup.

You could (should) get a manometer to measure it, yes. bren can set you up there too. :)

Please post a review once up and running! I wondered if the shelter had secondary tubes.

Please post a review once up and running! I wondered if the shelter had secondary tubes.

Hope to have it going this week. We will be in the mid thirties at night this week, hoping I can use this a little earlier than my last one. I ordered all the double wall pipe and fittings Saturday from a local furnace manufacturer and it should be in today or tomorrow. I'm on my 24hr shift today or I would have it done today.

I don't think it has tubes...I Iooked at one of these Saturday (they have one at the Ontario Menards) and IIRC (I was in a hurry) it has a stainless plate at the top of the firebox with a bunch of small holes in it.

Yep, -0.08" WC max draft...ladies and gentlemen, we have a new high for max draft on a FA wood furnace (at least that I've ever heard of)

Reading the trouble shooting section, it says min is 0.04". Not sure why the minimum isn't up front in the same section with the max?

I don't think it has tubes...I Iooked at one of these Saturday (they have one at the Ontario Menards) and IIRC (I was in a hurry) it has a stainless plate at the top of the firebox with a bunch of small holes in it.
I haven't been there yet, although I've gone past over a dozen times. Is the baffle similar to the Pacific energy stoves?