Upland 107 - DVL connection - help with correct pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cabinwarmer

Burning Hunk
Sep 11, 2020
SE PA
Good Day, I am trying to install DVL 6 inch on my older Upland 107 in my shop. It is unclear to me what piece I need to connect to the stove directly. Would the 6DVL E45 be correct or is there a DVL stove adapter that is required. The opening measures 7 inches on the stove. I appreciate your thoughts.

Dave

upland 1.jpg

OR do I need a 7DVL-AD to connect to the stove then a 7DVL-E45 then a 7-6 reducer?

It's going to depend somewhat on how far from the wall it is. At some point you will need to reduce down to 6", the question is where? Measure the ID of the flue collar and then match that to the available hardware. If it requires an appliance adapter (looks like it might) then, in order to get vertical asap, maybe go right to a 7" 45º elbow, then reduce with a DVL decreaser?

begreen, the ID of the flue collar is 7 inches. Yes, was thinking adapter to 45 to reducer. This chart is not making my choice easy. I am thinking the 7DVL-AD is what I need but the "B" dimension shows 6.5 inches. This is from the Duravent parts catalog.

IMG_1689.jpg

The DVL decreaser is 7" OD on the large end. Measure again, if it is 7 1/16" then that might fit in.

Then just instal the decreaser directly into the stove collar? I guess as long as I get 1 inch in I am good? I didn't think that would work. Use cement to hold it into the stove?

Then just instal the decreaser directly into the stove collar? I guess as long as I get 1 inch in I am good? I didn't think that would work. Use cement to hold it into the stove?
If it fits then it's good. I would drill a couple screw holes in the flue collar to anchor the adapter.

No luck. I am thinking I may need the 7DVL-AD adapter, then I may have to modify to make the lower portion (inner pipe) longer to get deeper into the flue collar.

Good Day,
I have modified my 7DVL-AD to fit nicely into the 7 inch stove collar. What type of drill bit do I need to drill cast iron - cobalt? Also, I was going to use standard self tapping screws, same as I used on the flue pipe, good enough? I also have some furnace cement, should I use that as well or is that over kill.

Thanks!..

Dave

Good Day,
I have modified my 7DVL-AD to fit nicely into the 7 inch stove collar. What type of drill bit do I need to drill cast iron - cobalt? Also, I was going to use standard self tapping screws, same as I used on the flue pipe, good enough? I also have some furnace cement, should I use that as well or is that over kill.

Thanks!..

Dave
A good sharp fresh bit should go thru cast iron easily, cobalt is fine. Self-tappers are ok. No need for furnace cement, it will just fall out later.

Last concern I have is the inside piping of the DVL adapter is just a bit smaller then the ID of the flue collar. It fits well except for the 3/8 inch gap at the top of the attached picture. What are the thoughts around this? OK to let go? Seems a small amount of heat would possibly go up the outer pipe? Would some type of material inserted be helpful like door gasket? I know the door gaskets are only rated 1000 F. Some type of insulation? The tube of furnace cement I keep trying to use? It shows 2000F. Thanks for your guidance through this installation. We are getting closer!.

IMG_1702.jpg

Last edited:
Install completed, got some great insight from bholler and peened out the inside piping to fit. FYI, the OD of the inside pipe on a DVL7-AD is 6.5 inches.

Thanks for your help again!