ups

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zrock

Minister of Fire
Dec 2, 2017
bc
What size of a UPS would i need to run the stove long enough for it to do a proper shutdown or me to drag the extension cord out and get it plugged in.. Yester day we had the power go out just enough for the stove to enter a shutdown. If i would have had a UPS sitting on it i would have been fine... Just need it to run for about 1/2 hour tops

I use an APC SmartUPS-750VA. Shutdown can take as long as 2 hours on my stove.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Don't have one,but have been told a 1500VA will run a Harman for up to 90 minutes,not in shutdown mode.

Make sure you buy a "Pure Sine Wave" UPS, like some of the models from Cyberpower.
A UPS like this will cost about $199. The Cyberpower model CP1500PFCLCD is a good choice. They will also sound a warning beeper that will alert you that the stove is running on back-up power.

Make sure you buy a "Pure Sine Wave" UPS, like some of the models from Cyberpower.
A UPS like this will cost about $199. The Cyberpower model CP1500PFCLCD is a good choice. They will also sound a warning beeper that will alert you that the stove is running on back-up power.
That's what I have also. Plenty of power for shutdown on my Harman or time to transfer over to portable generator power

Here's what I bought for a P68 (you can see it on my install thread). Nice looking unit and had the highest joules rating as well. As I recall, Harman originally sold 750VA units for these.

1604114280212.png

ya i was the same thing like the last few posts... how long do they normally run?

That APC BX100M is not a pure sinewave unit.
I believe the OP was interested in automatic shutdown on a loss of power. My goal last year was to get an APC unit similar to what Harman originally sold that would trigger the automatic shutdown sequence. I have verified this one does. If the goal is to keep the stove running for an extended period, then, a pure sinewave would be a better choice.

Last edited:
Never had one, don't need ot. I have a 27KW diesel powered standby that powers the entire farm. Utility goes out and in 45 seconds I'm on backup power, stove never misses a beat.

Of course it was a bit more than 150 bucks, more like 100 times that.......... ;lol

I have AIMS 1250 with Two 100AH Gel Cells. Keeps it running 12 hours so I don't have to go find plug and fire up Generator. (Harmon XXV). Not hat smoke is any problem with it just being unplugged. I feel if you going UPS might as well get one that does some good.

Never had one, don't need ot. I have a 27KW diesel powered standby that powers the entire farm. Utility goes out and in 45 seconds I'm on backup power, stove never misses a beat.

Of course it was a bit more than 150 bucks, more like 100 times that.......... ;lol
Just about had that option a few years ago. the RV park i worked at someone abandoned a old motorhome that had a nice gen in it. I was going to take it and hook it up to the house. But unfortunately the boss did not realize i was taking it and sold it on me...

so what is the difference between a purshine unit and others?
It's 'pure sine wave' not purshine', that is car wax...lol

Pure sine wave inverters produce a clean waveform that electronics demand for proper function. Modified sine wave inverters may or may not work and may destroy your electronics (as in control board). Always a PSW inverter backup.

I have AIMS 1250 with Two 100AH Gel Cells. Keeps it running 12 hours so I don't have to go find plug and fire up Generator. (Harmon XXV). Not hat smoke is any problem with it just being unplugged. I feel if you going UPS might as well get one that does some good.
Have a remote actuated 3000 watt AIMS Power inverter in my RV and it's been 100% reliable for the last 8 years. Good units at a reasonable cost.

My backup generator (15KW) runs off the PTO shaft of my tractor. Takes a bit more than 45 seconds to hook up when power fails, but a bit more affordable. I used a generac automatic transfer switch to wire up 100A worth of circuits and a simple change to a relay and sense lead to make the panel switch automatically when it detects the generator is outputting A/C.

LOL,fun stuff. As far as Harman stoves backup "system",it was considered to be top of the line,then it was not.Do you see it advertised on their website? As far as backup generators/inverters etc,do you really think you live in such a remote,faraway deprived place?Unless you are a business,or farm/ranch.If you cannot survive a week with out power,(farms and businesses excluded) perhaps you should not be alive.

Was able to grab the cyberpower above and now im not sure if its just me. It seems like the settings i used to use on the stove are just not their now... i used to use setting 3 to warm up the house and 2 to maintain now on setting 2 it does not seem to maintain as well the temp slowly drops.. Almost like the auger has slowed down... going to run it out of pellets today and just double check and make sure i do not have a build up of fines in the auger shoot.. If that does not work going to plug it back the way i had it previously and see if their is a change... Maby its just my head..LOL

i can survive a week without power not problem. the issue is when its -30 outside things tend to freeze
Hasn't been that cold here in a while, however, but yes when it does get cold things tend to freeze, and need power for well, sewer/septic pump, and with wife working , need to disinfect clothes with super hot water in the wash..

My backup generator (15KW) runs off the PTO shaft of my tractor. Takes a bit more than 45 seconds to hook up when power fails, but a bit more affordable. I used a generac automatic transfer switch to wire up 100A worth of circuits and a simple change to a relay and sense lead to make the panel switch automatically when it detects the generator is outputting A/C.
Not my thing. I have multiple tractors with more than 90 PTO power but the diesel standby is much easier to deal with and one less 'implement to store'. Besides, you run into the stable CPS issue with a pto genny.

You can set the PTO speed at 540 or 1000 depending on the genny at no load, but as you load it, the horsepower and torque draw reduces the pto shaft speed to a point where the cps drops way off or you have to go out and fiddle with the tractor throttle to get it back to pto rpm and them when you remove the load, the pto is spinning too fast and your set point of 60 cps got wacko.

With my diesel standby, the generator head is electronically tied to the injection pump so up to and including maximum raterd output, the cps never changes because the engine is getting fuel to compensate for load. That don't happen with a pto genny.

I'd much rather accure engine hours on my tractors farming anyway and mine will run the entire farm and the shop from a single unit with no hands on fiddling. it draws diesel from a 1000 gallon bulk tank so run time couple be weeks at full load (barring maintenance).
100 amps don't cut it here. Might run the house but not the shop or the heated stock tanks.

Our typical utility bill is around 350 bucks a month in the winter and 200 in the summer and that is incoming 440/3 to the main breaker box. Edison loves us.

well my above issue was a build up of fines in the hopper.. gave it a good cleaning and we are back to normal... looking at one of the bags of pellets the fines in them this year is nuts.... last year their was next to nothing this year it almost looks like the pellets got wet and broke up.. Guess ill be switching brands after i run these out