US Stove 5500M draft fan issue.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smittycj7

Sep 3, 2011
Western Pa
Okay guys I’m in need of some help with this issue.
My draft fan stopped working on this stove. I pulled the fan from the housing and tested on the bench. Checked all the fuses.
I put the stove in test mode and tested he voltage on the wires to the draft fan. I have 120VAC at the spade connecters. If you plug the fan into the wires the 120VAC goes away.
Known
Fan runs when tested on the bench
Fuses are good
Have 120 VAC to the fan when the fan is unplugged.
Voltage goes away when fan is plugged in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One possibility - you have a bad connection between the motor and the board (or on the board itself). It's good enough to pass voltage until there is a current draw (connecting the motor). Then the high resistance of the bad connection kills the voltage. Take a good look at the connectors on the board. One may be loose or corroded.

Another possibility is a bad relay or triac on the board.

Another: a loose or defective fuse.

Thank you. I checked everything and narrowed it down to a bad control board. Looks like I’m in the market for a new stove. I can’t see putting the money in a new board.