US Stove 5660 exhaust blower runs constantly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

possum165

Sep 28, 2020
New York
Hi everyone, I'm new here and hoping you can help.
I just bought a used 5660. Built in 2011. Initially when I plugged int he power cord the exhaust blower comes on immediately. When I hit the on button the power light would turn green and it would drop pellet, but no ignitor. The Auger trim 1&2 lights lit. I reseated all the connectors on the control board, and to most of the sensors and blowers, and reset the high limit switch. After that when I hit the ON button, it started flashing red/green , dropped pellet and ignited in a few minutes. So it seem to work BUT... the exhaust blower still is on constantly, even when you have not pressed the on button. If there's a power cord plugged in, it runs. This is with the unit sitting outside my garage door for testing. No chimney or OAK attached.

Any ideas or additional troubleshooting methods are welcome!!

The power to the exhaust blower comes directly from the control panel and is switched on an off automatically by one of the 4 triacs on the control board. The 3 other triacs switch the igniter and both blowers. I have seen this in a few stoves where the triac was shorted so the power could not be switched off. Also in one stove I found the route cause was that the pellet stove was plugged into an outlet that was wired incorrectly. The phase was reversed which means the black and white wire attached to the outlet should be switched.
In this case we plugged the stove into a good outlet and also added a good Tripp Lite surge protector and replaced the control panel to fix the stove. :)
My 2 cents
Hope this helps.