US Stove 6039 agitator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HD4Mark

May 6, 2017
Cicero, NY/Marathon, FL
This morning I vacuumed out our 6039, filled it up and started it as usual. The agitator caught and lifted the burn pot up then quit. I gave it a push with a screw driver and freed it but now it will not turn. Sounds like the motor is spinning and the pin is still in the shaft. I have been using it this fall right along so it has not been sitting and the burn pot is clean.

I removed all the pellets from the hopper so it would run out. So while I'm waiting for it to cool off, any tips as to what might be wrong? The manual does not have much info on trouble shooting the agitator.

This morning I vacuumed out our 6039, filled it up and started it as usual. The agitator caught and lifted the burn pot up then quit. I gave it a push with a screw driver and freed it but now it will not turn. Sounds like the motor is spinning and the pin is still in the shaft. I have been using it this fall right along so it has not been sitting and the burn pot is clean.

I removed all the pellets from the hopper so it would run out. So while I'm waiting for it to cool off, any tips as to what might be wrong? The manual does not have much info on trouble shooting the agitator.

Shaft not turning, not jammed, motor sounds like it's running. Sounds like the gear box is shot. They were notorious for going out if not taken apart and greased or a zerk added to grease them. They came from the factory with about $0.00002 worth of grease in them.

Reactions: HD4Mark
Shaft not turning, not jammed, motor sounds like it's running. Sounds like the gear box is shot. They were notorious for going out if not taken apart and greased or a zerk added to grease them. They came from the factory with about $0.00002 worth of grease in them.
Thanks Pete. I kind of figured than and will be tearing it out today. Any way to rebuild the gear box or will I just need to order a new motor?

It depends on what you find. I remember on the old now defunct IBC forum there was a great picture DIY maintenance post about them.

I did put a zerk in mine back then, must be 10 years ago. If I remember correctly there is a very thin film type gasket that you have to be careful not to rip when taking it apart. Also you have to make sure to watch carefully when taking it apart to know exactly where each gear goes back in and some very small plastic bushings.

Take pics as you go, I think there was some color coding on the gears or bushings IIRC.

I don't know if mine even still works as I burn clinker style and don't use it at all but I don't think I would part with it just in case I would ever need to use it.

Just be careful, I do remember there are a lot of very small parts in that gear box.

Are you aware that there are two pins, there is a spring pin that attaches the agitator to the agitator drive shaft. There is also a roll or tension pin that attaches the agitator drive shaft to the motor, you can not see the tension pin unless you take side cover off. It is located on the front side of the motor.

Are you aware that there are two pins, there is a spring pin that attaches the agitator to the agitator drive shaft. There is also a roll or tension pin that attaches the agitator drive shaft to the motor, you can not see the tension pin unless you take side cover off. It is located on the front side of the motor.
That was it ARC. I removed the motor and the shaft pulled right off the agitator. A little fabrication for a new shear pin and I'm back burning. The cotter pin I have had off many times to clean the burn pot. Thanks for the help guys.