Used P38 Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron stove

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Central CT
Talking with a co worker who is looking around at used Harman stoves, P series. Im familiar with my P-43.

Questions, do the 38's still have the same auger setup as my 43 ? I thought some older stoves had the chain drive, or am I incorrect. Any big engineering differences, should he stay away from anything older than " X " number of years ?

Also, with a 38, does it have the " test Mode" where you can run the exhaust fan and still do your cleaning while sucking the ash outside ?

Thanks

Talking with a co worker who is looking around at used Harman stoves, P series. Im familiar with my P-43.

Questions, do the 38's still have the same auger setup as my 43 ? I thought some older stoves had the chain drive, or am I incorrect. Any big engineering differences, should he stay away from anything older than " X " number of years ?

Also, with a 38, does it have the " test Mode" where you can run the exhaust fan and still do your cleaning while sucking the ash outside ?

Thanks
Yes the 38 does have same auger as 43

p-38's have the exact same auger assembly as the P43. The P38 HAS NEVER BEEN chain drive. You can stick the older model P38's in TURBO mode as a test, and newer model P38's actually do have a TEST mode......if its older, I am guessing it is the old 2 knob setup rather than the newer 3 knob model (3 knob has been out for 1-2 years......)

I wouldn't have any reservations about buying an older model, just be advised that the "old" P38 circuit boards are no longer made, or even sold, by Harman....you might run into a few dealers who still have them ( ;) ), but they are few and far between. Don't worry tho, there is a retrofit kit to make older P38's take the newer boards....just time intensive.....

I have the older P-38 (2 knobs) and I too used to put it into turbo mode when cleaning. It always worked for me but that method actually has to push a good amount of fly ash into a vertical chimney of any length .(mine is about 24ft long) Of course a short straight out vent would be quick and easy to clean afterwards.
I now just secure the vacuum into a corner of the door opening and run it while I clean and it draws in all the dust while I scrape and brush the interior.

I have an older 2 knob P38 and a newer 3 knob. There are a couple cosmetic differences between the 2. The door frame style and the ash pan/door are different. I like the newer style much better but functionally, there's no difference. Both stoves crank out the heat, and if anything, my older one is SLIGHTLY quieter. Could just be the placement area as it's in my man cave/theater room which has a few acoustic panels, 2 of which are near the stove. The fines box is different between the two. From what I've heard, the dealers like the old style better, but I prefer the new style. Cleaning it is MUCH easier IMO. Accessing the wing nut on the old style requires much more contorting and luck to get the threads started.

Overall I MUCH prefer the newer one because of the control board. "Room Temp" is a VERY nice feature to have. Pretty much set it and forget it. I'm fairly confident the retrofit kit will give you the Room Temp option.

If the price is right and the output fits the application, you really can't go wrong with either.

Thanks Guys. The add I viewed was a 2 knob unit. Im surprised they discontinued the boards so quickly. Yes they have the retrofit, but $$, probably want you to buy a new stove.

Thanks Guys. The add I viewed was a 2 knob unit. Im surprised they discontinued the boards so quickly. Yes they have the retrofit, but $$, probably want you to buy a new stove.
absolutely....not cheap......but nowhere nrear the cost of a "new" unit

Status
Not open for further replies.