Used parts for a Vigilant II -- Sources?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinmen Takezo

Nov 4, 2014
Nevada
As per my other thread I got a slightly used Vigilant II for practically nada.

All is there, except that I find that I am missing a thingy called a... "ash fettle"

Is this necessary for proper function of this stove?
Or is this something I can do without?

I am also missing the... "andirons." (no big deal).
But I am going to fabricate a couple of these with decorative bears myself.

Any place to obtain one of these "ash Fettles?" --used?!
I am looking at the price of one of these new ($125.00) and got sticker shock for a piece of cast crap.
Or.... can I fabricate one of these my self out of 1/4 inch steel plate and bend the radius to match the stove?

Riddle these questions for me please.

Your talking about a cast part for an old stove. Its going to be expensive. If I recall, is the ash fettle that little 2" tall "wall" that goes across the bottom of the front opening to keep the ash from spilling out? If yes, then something like that should be there. Not sure if I will get lambasted for saying so, but if I didn't want to spend the money on a original replacement, I would have no issue cutting something out of 1/4" stock or something. If it is the piece I am thinking of, it shouldn't have a bearing on combustion or structural stability. Again, I am digging back thru decades of shire weed hindered memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.