Used Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

crhyner

Mar 13, 2021
Yonkers, NY
Making baby steps towards getting an insert. I had a salesperson from a fireplace store come and tell me I couldn't get an insert a few years ago because of my flue, then I just had my chimney cleaned by a fireplace company Saturday, and he said I most definitely COULD put either a stove or insert in, but he recommended insert. He'd install whatever I buy for $2,500. I trust him and don't want install something like this myself, for peace of mind that it was done right, if nothing else.

So, I can get an insert, nice! The chimney sweep recommended Naploeon, hadn't heart of Drolet and kind of rolled his eyes when I said it was only $1,500. I am thinking of getting a good used one. A great deal fell through my fingers yesterday, so I know they're out there. What about this used Gold Marc? Thoughts? Any good leads on a nice, smaller sized insert. My house is about 100-120 years old, pretty open, feels rustic. Thoughts on buying a used insert in general?

thanks,

Charlie

I would stay away from that Gold Marc. I would not drag it home for free that is an old smoke dragon that will eat wood. Try to find an newer epa stove you will be much happier with it plus a glass window is very nice. I love my Napoloen its an older model that is discontinued I am not sure how the new ones are but I do like the looks and specs on the new S25.
Some more information like size of house and room along with hearth and chimney details wood help.

Get the drolet.sbi the company that makes them has outstanding customer service.

Moved to the classics forum if the search is for pre-EPA inserts.

Realize your going to need dry wood. Split and stacked for at least 2 summers in your yard. Dry seasoned wood can not be purchased ready to burn.

Making baby steps towards getting an insert. I had a salesperson from a fireplace store come and tell me I couldn't get an insert a few years ago because of my flue, then I just had my chimney cleaned by a fireplace company Saturday, and he said I most definitely COULD put either a stove or insert in, but he recommended insert. He'd install whatever I buy for $2,500. I trust him and don't want install something like this myself, for peace of mind that it was done right, if nothing else.

So, I can get an insert, nice! The chimney sweep recommended Naploeon, hadn't heart of Drolet and kind of rolled his eyes when I said it was only $1,500. I am thinking of getting a good used one. A great deal fell through my fingers yesterday, so I know they're out there. What about this used Gold Marc? Thoughts? Any good leads on a nice, smaller sized insert. My house is about 100-120 years old, pretty open, feels rustic. Thoughts on buying a used insert in general?

thanks,

Charlie
The Drolet stove insert is great, 5 years in on mine. No issues except a baffle issue that they handled with exemplary service.

The sweep rolling his eyes at it, should be taken take as a red flag about him.

Reactions: crhyner