Used wood furnace questons.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChuckV309

Nov 18, 2008
Germantown Hills, IL
I am looking at a used wood burning furnace from Sears. It is a model 336. I can't find any info on this furnace. If anyone knows any info, or where to get it, I would appreciate it. The owner can't tell me much. I would like the btu, log size, cfm of blower, flue size, etc. The owner only wants $75 for it and it includes some piping too.

I am new to wood burning and trying to get all the info I can.

Thanks,
Chuck

Welcome to the Boiler Room, Chuck.

Used woodburning appliances are a crap shoot, and used furnaces can be in pretty rough shape, since there's no cooling water to keep things from overheating. If I were you, I'd find somebody locally who knows something about stoves and furnaces and have them take a look at it. You'll want to look for evidence of overfiring, which can weaken or crack welds and other important components. I don't know anything about Sears furnaces, but I have owned a wood-fired furnace.

If you're going to burn wood successfully, you need 1.) a good supply of dry wood, 2.) a Class A chimney (stainless steel or ceramic lined brick) in good condition, and 3.) an appliance in good repair.

A licensed chimney sweep can probably help you determine the first two.

Thanks Eric. I was just looking for specs, so I could figure out if it was even big enough for my needs. If it is, then I would inspect it before I would buy it.

Thanks,
Chuck

Also looking at a used unit and under construction. Is it OK to use a wood boiler like a woodstove temporarily, with no water hooked to it, or would it mess up the coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.