Used wood furnaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisg

Hearth Supporter
Sep 6, 2007
NEK VT
Need for advice about things to look for when checking out used hot air wood furnaces. Are there any areas I should pay special attention to. What are some opinions thoughts about used furnaces in general. I think it could be kind of hit or miss but the right deal may have presented itself if the furnace is half way decent. Thanks in advance Chris

I'd look for cracked welds and/or warped steel plate. It's not all that hard to overfire a furnace, especially if the power goes out or a blower fails. They'll warp up pretty quick under those circumstances. Check the grates (if it has them) and make sure they're intact and in reasonably good shape. If it has a removable ash pan, see what kind of shape it's in as well.

Unlike boilers, furnaces don't have water on the other side of the steel plate to keep it cool, so they tend to suffer the effects of overheating more than boilers. On the other hand, there's no water to rust or corrode anything out, so what you see is probably what you get. I'd scrape around the firebox a bit to try to determine what condition the steel is in. I know that boilers can get paper thin in places due to corrosion inside the firebox. Not sure about furnaces, but i'd be leery about any place that looks like it's flaking away or corroding.

Generally speaking, the more firebrick the better. Don't worry about cracked bricks--that's normal and won't hurt anything as long as the brick stays put. Usually they can be easily replaced (and should be replaced, because they protect the steel.).

Thanks Eric that is just the kind of info I am looking for. I thought maybe I would bring a flashlight for a good look and a screwdriver and pick to poke around a little.
I will be going to look at a used one today that the guy said his friend took out of use for a different system and he picked it up to put in his garage but is not now. He did say there is a full set of bricks in it as well as some new bricks to go with it separate and supposedly has new circulation blower. It is listed in the local for sale mag and sometimes good deals can be found. I am a little leary about used but I think it is at least worth going to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.