Using too many pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

scoggins

Dec 10, 2019
British Columbia
Hi folks

I've got a Heatilator CAB50 pellet stove. It was brand new in November 2019. We had the stove installed while tenants are in the house and I haven't had a chance to get acquainted with the stove yet. Nor have I had a pellet stove before, so I'm new to this set up. I have a question about the amount of pellets it's using, I'd appreciate input or advice anyone has.

It's going through two bags of pellets a day even when the thermostat is set low. It's also creating a lot of ash which fills the chimney. Is this a normal amount?

Thanks

Every install is different, pellet usage will vary according to the size of the area being heated, insulation, tight or drafty home, temps outside. So its pretty hard to say. Just remember pellet Stoves are space heaters not full blown furnaces. :)

Reactions: scoggins and johneh
Pellet brand will contribute to usable as well... When i was trying different brands this year one brand due to its size and consistency i would go through a bag a day compared to my usual bag every 2-3 days. Some brands are pretty dirty as well.. Some would soot up my glass in a day to the point i could not see through it and lots of ash, others i can go all week with just a light dusting on the glass and next to no ash but more hard deposits in the pot..

Reactions: scoggins
2 Bags a day seems to be a bit high for this device...
My Stove could not burn 2 bags a day...even if i tried...
BUT, it is well possible, that the place your stove has to heat with Thermostat setting, is drafty like a barn and so not really getting warm at all...
Also...check Pellets next season...i always buy early in season a few bags from different brands and check how they burn...
Last/this season i went with Homedepots Stove chow...was unbeatable price and performance wise...

Drafts are not the issue. 2 bags/day sounds too high consumption, especially on the lowest setting. I could go through 2 bags/day on the Inferno (high) setting, but the “default” number 3 setting (out of 5 auger speed lights) typically lasts about a day. The lowest setting can last 2 days.

Also, don’t forget that the size of the pellets will also influence the consumption rate. Smaller pellets will go through the auger faster.