USSS 6039 original 4 button stove start up draft problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CaptnJack

Nov 14, 2021
SE Indiana
My stove is over 20 years old. I ran into a problem last year when I start the stove( it's a manual start) when the door is open the draft fan runs it seems on high and the pellets start to burn and light as soon as I close the door from what I can hear the draft fan seem to be running very very slow you can hardly hear it, and the pellets want to go out, it's a very lazy fire. I remover the draft fan and cleaned it and there is nothing wrong with it. I checked the vacuum switch and it seems to work ok and the hose to it looks ok, even the high and low switches check ok. So I am not sure where to check or look for the problem. Once up and running it seems to be running right, but I still think there is something going on with the draft fan it seems I had to open the fresh air door more to get it to burn right. Suggestions or help will be appreciated. Thanks.

So is mine Problem is, they went from a 2 button to a 4 button board around that time (still use the 4 button today).

What revision n umber is your board and is it a 2 button (obsolete) or a 4 button? (You can tell by unplugging it and plugging it back in and the board will reset and flash the revision number if it's a 4 button, the 2 button won't do anything, which I suspect is probably 2.6 or 7) which is the same as mine because the combustion fan (draft fan) is doing exactly what it's supposed to do, open the door, vacuum switch senses no firebox vacuum and the DF speeds up, Close the door and the vacuum switch senses vacuum and the DF slows down but it slows down to whatever HR setting you have selected (if you have a 4 button board). If you have a 2 button, I suggest getting a 4 button. The 4 button is plug and play, the stove connector plugs right in and the 2 button is obsolete and offers little control over the firing parameters. You can make the stove dance a jig with the 4 button board, because you can program it to do about whatever you want to do and the 4 button board has the built in lugs for the Calrod igniter if you want to go that route and modify the burn pot and pedestal. I never did, both mine are manual start. I run a corn / pellet mix anyway so the igniter won't work for me as it's a pellet only thing.

I do have to ask you about your preventive maintenance regimen too. Is it cleaned regularly and have you oiled the motor bearings and greased the reduction gearboxes? Have you removed the combustion fan and cleaned the blades and vacuumed out the combustion fan plenum and do you keep your venting clean and dump your cleanout often?

Last edited:
ooops I see it's a 4 button, pardon my dust, I didn't catch that initially. What is the revision number then and are you running a good surge supressor on it and everything else in my previous post applies. It's doing exactly what it's supposed to do when running on auto. if you go to manual, the DF will speed up to max rpm and stay there and you can control the fire with the slide damper. I don't do that because I have an outside air kit on mine (OAK or as USSC calls it FAK). Mine stays on auto all the time and I also run a remote T'stat.

Thanks for the info. Yes, it's a 4 button. I keep it mostly clean getting a new fan gasket since I took it off last fall and was not in good shape. Will do some oiling on the recommended above and go from there. So your saying I can adjust the fan setting higher on startup? Where can I find that info is it in the owners manual or in the test manual? Thanks, PS: mine is in my 20x20 woodshop so I don't use it all the time. Also will look into the fresh air system.👍

Thanks for the info. Yes, it's a 4 button. I keep it mostly clean getting a new fan gasket since I took it off last fall and was not in good shape. Will do some oiling on the recommended above and go from there. So your saying I can adjust the fan setting higher on startup? Where can I find that info is it in the owners manual or in the test manual? Thanks, PS: mine is in my 20x20 woodshop so I don't use it all the time. Also will look into the fresh air system.👍
You are probably on the same software revision I am on my house unit. I have one in my shop as well but slightly newer (see my 'I got a 4 button stove' thread. The test manual has the way to set the algorithms to adjust the firing parameters.

One thing I do when I clean mine and that is I take a crevice tool ( a small one with a reducer on my shop vac hose and stick it through the back wall circular opening and into the draft fan plenum and suck out the plenum every time I clean mine inside. The ash like to lay in there. I also have a length of garden hose I can shove into the plenum and suck out the ash.

I recommend the outside air kit. I also recommend enlarging the burn pot holes slightly. I run 2 pots on each stove, that way I have one soaking and one in the stove, they clean much easier that way. I burn corn and a pellet mix all the time.

Far as the combustion fan gasket is concerned, I quit using them years ago. I put a bead of red RTV around the perimiter of the fan plate (that secures to the plenum), let it vulcanize for a day and reinstall it. That way you never have to replace the gaskets.

If you want to e-mail me at [email protected] of you have any questions. My email adddress in under my screen name on every post.

Reactions: ARC
You are probably on the same software revision I am on my house unit. I have one in my shop as well but slightly newer (see my 'I got a 4 button stove' thread. The test manual has the way to set the algorithms to adjust the firing parameters.

One thing I do when I clean mine and that is I take a crevice tool ( a small one with a reducer on my shop vac hose and stick it through the back wall circular opening and into the draft fan plenum and suck out the plenum every time I clean mine inside. The ash like to lay in there. I also have a length of garden hose I can shove into the plenum and suck out the ash.

I recommend the outside air kit. I also recommend enlarging the burn pot holes slightly. I run 2 pots on each stove, that way I have one soaking and one in the stove, they clean much easier that way. I burn corn and a pellet mix all the time.

Far as the combustion fan gasket is concerned, I quit using them years ago. I put a bead of red RTV around the perimiter of the fan plate (that secures to the plenum), let it vulcanize for a day and reinstall it. That way you never have to replace the gaskets.

If you want to e-mail me at [email protected] of you have any questions. My email adddress in under my screen name on every pos
Will try and get it back together sometime this week If It still is not working right I shall get in touch Thanks

Reactions: ARC