V. C. Encore 2550 - engaging the cat on warm days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidw

Jan 21, 2014
S.E. PAclown
Is leaving the damper open with the temperature leaver closed is bad for the stove. I just replaced the catalyst and If I bring temperature up to 4-500* and engage to cat the house gets too hot in the daytime. If I were to shut the damper will it choke the cat at low temperature? I am burning 2 year old oak and maple.
Thanks, David

If the catalyst stalls or otherwise doesn't light-off, then it could get dirty and might not light-off as easily. It takes some experimenting to get the draft controls right. You will have to experiment and see how much you can close the air control. I have read that the steel catalysts light-off at a lower temperature, so that could be an option when it's time to replace it.

The 2 year old wood should do fine. When it is warm out I get griddle temp up to 350 and engage cat and I run a digital probe monitor to check cat temps. On warm days I run cat temp up to 900 and then turn air control down. The cat will run around 600 for hours and no creosote build ups
upload_-1.jpg

Thank you homebruz and Excavator, I am planning to get a cat probe before the end of heating season, It looks like there is a metal snap in plug in back of stove that gives you access to push the prob into and thru the secondary burn chamber, am I understanding this is where the probe inserts?

Thank you homebruz and Excavator, I am planning to get a cat probe before the end of heating season, It looks like there is a metal snap in plug in back of stove that gives you access to push the prob into and thru the secondary burn chamber, am I understanding this is where the probe inserts?
yes

Status
Not open for further replies.