Vacuum Switch error after cleaning Enviro Empress

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gbeane

Jun 5, 2008
Brewer, ME
I just finished cleaning my enviro empress, including removing the firebox backing and cleaning the exhaust passage (more than my typical weekly cleaning). After putting everything back together and turning the stove back on, the #2 light on the control board flashes, which means the vacuum switch is shutting off the stove. Keep in mind the stove is much cleaner than when I just shut it off an hour ago.

I unhooked the hose for the vacuum switch and blew through it, and I cleaned out the barb it attaches to on the stove with a paperclip. I also removed the blower motor and cleaned inside the blower housing.

The door gasket and ash pan gasket look good as far as I can tell (not loose, doesn't appear to be damaged).

I think it could be the vacuum switch itself. Is there anything else I should try first?

Update:

tried bypassing the vacuum switch to see if it would light. no go. The igniter got hot and after several minutes not even any smoke in the stove itself

Hello G ok, is this an older Empress?? FS or insert? Is the combustion motor turning? Ashpan /door closed?? Its prob something simple. I'm assuming the vac sw doesn't have the + or - hookups?? Some Minis had that vac switch where the switch could be activated by pressure or vacuum, depending on the side you had the hose on. Let us know. Hope you get her going.

It is a free standing Empress, about 5 years old. The combustion motor is turning. Ashpan and door are closed and latched.

The vac switch does have +/- hookups (marked H and L), the hose was on the low. I've bypassed the vac switch completely with a jumper wire to see if the switch was bad, but the stove doesn't light -- the ignitor gets red hot but after even a few minutes there is no fire.

well its going now. Did another thorough cleaning of the stove, brushed and vacuumed out the vent, put everything back together including vacuum switch that I had pulled to test...

On your stove if the Burn pot liner is not pushed against the igniter
and the burn pot is not in its proper against position against the liner the stove will not light .
it is very easy to over look and with your re cleaning everything was
put back into place as they should be

Sounds reasonable. Make sure too that ignitor tube is all the way out against the burnpot liner, to make ignition happen as well. As always a clean stove always works better. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.