Valley comfort mp80 wood furnace questions/operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MDP

Nov 12, 2020
Burns lake bc
Hi there sorry for my rambling...I have a valley comfort MP80 wood furnace and have a few questions. We moved to a new house approximately 3 years ago and it had this wood/electric furnace set up, I have never delt with a wood furnace before so I have been trying to learn from trial and error.
Just wondering how a wood furnace should properly be operated.. currently use it more like a free stander with a blower on it.. throw a few small splits (2” or so) and burn that until everything is warmed up good and have a decent bed of coals then load it up with 4 or 5 good splits and burn for 15-20 mins until it’s all well charred then turn the tstat down to close the intake damper. I have the little adjuster flap opened up almost all the way so that it’s hot enough still to be flamming (secondary flames sometimes when I crack the door to peek in) then I just leave it like that. It usually gets way to hot in here because the blower never shuts off but if I try run it lower it puffs on me.. The tstat never needs to call for heat because the way I have it, it is always making heat. The blower stays on for hours.
It does only last like 6 hours to be able to load again and keep going or wait until later in the day and light another fire..

Flue temps (surface single wall) when I’ve got it shut down drop down to around 240-260 and slowly climb up to 320-360.
And the furnace blower doesn’t shut off for hours at that temp. I have it set to be on at 165 off at 120 and it never gets that low until the wood is almost gone.
Is that normal? If so what is the point of the tstat haha?? All I use it for is to open the damper on a fresh load of wood and then turn it back down to shut it.

If I close the adjuster flap some the temps usually hover around 180-220 and the blower cycles on and off. (Still never calls for heat) but it back puffs occasionally a few hours into the burn and it’s just a smouldering pile of logs.

So just wondering from the experts here if I’m doing it somewhat right or wrong?

thanks for the help!!

I have a valley comfort MP80
I see this thread has had over 60 looks, and no comments...I don't think any of us are familiar with this unit...do you have any pictures?
EDIT: Does it look like this?

If so, it may be a Blaze King furnace...and @BKVP should be able to help...
(Any talk of making a cat furnace again BKVP?)

Last edited:
Reactions: andym
Yup that’s the one. Valley comfort is made by blaze king.
Ya I have searched all over and can’t find very much info on them.
The manual isn’t that helpful.
It has a separate air inlet spinner on the loading door and one below it on the main intake damper, just hard to figure out where these both should be set..
with other furnaces, what are you looking for when there is no call for heat like how should the fire be burning?
When I have it burning as low as I can before it’s just smouldering my plenum stays hot enough that the blower doesn’t shut off for hours. Blower is set to on at 165 and off at 120.
Maybe that’s normal??

Thank you

When I have it burning as low as I can before it’s just smouldering my plenum stays hot enough that the blower doesn’t shut off for hours. Blower is set to on at 165 and off at 120.
Maybe that’s normal??
Sounds pretty normal to me...using the tstat to activate an intake damper sounds good, but doesn't work out too well in the real world. In my experience (with other make/models) you have to vary the type of wood, the size of the load, and frequency of loading to match the heat demands of the house...basically running it much like a big wood stove.