Valor Madrona gas stove not lighting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

exnihilo

Mar 17, 2023
Canada
This concerns Valor Madrona (model MF28ILN) gas stove, the one for which I lost both remote and manual recently (my home was burgled)

I bought a remote, reset the receiver and linked it successfully with remote.
Receiver responds well to remote.
I received confirmation from several sources (including manufacturer) that this remote (which looks exactly like the one I lost) pairs with the receiver + fireplace.
So remote is not the problem

However, the stove itself is not responding properly.

When I press Off and Large Flame button simultaneously to restart pilot light and turn on flame (as I did hundred times over in the past), it passes usual sequence of beeping several times and makign slamming noises (including seeming sound of gas valve being opened and air flooding the stove)... but no flame shows up.

I followed all possible instructions yet this happens again and again.

Do you have any idea what is wrong?

We were away from property for 3 months, so the gas stove wasn't used during this period.

We left the stove unused (pilot light off) for more than 3 months in the past, yet never experienced such problems.

20230310_133758.jpg 20230310_133845.jpg 20230310_133913.jpg 20230310_133919.jpg

How many times have you tried? There may be air in the gas line & that needs to be purged before gas can reach the pilot assembly.

The third picture(the one with the front of the valve). There is a dial that should point to the on position and a rocker switch below it that appears to be in the off position (O=off, - is on) Try resetting them and see if the stove starts then and replace the batteries in the receiver.

How many times have you tried? There may be air in the gas line & that needs to be purged before gas can reach the pilot assembly.
The third picture(the one with the front of the valve). There is a dial that should point to the on position and a rocker switch below it that appears to be in the off position (O=off, - is on) Try resetting them and see if the stove starts then and replace the batteries in the receiver.
Most grateful for your advice.
I tried at least 30 times, and the same result happens each time. Several times I turned the pilot light off (by pressing off button on remote), and then retried lighting -- every time, there's all the right sounds and even the "puff" sound when the flame normally shoots up.
Yet no flame appears.

Indeed, in the image the dial and rocker switch are off but I activted both of them for most of my tries. Same result. :(

The store that sold us the gas stove (a decade ago) advises that spider/webs may be blocking the gas flow, and that I may need to have the unit serviced.
I am trying to figure out if I can open it myself and clean the pilot valve et c.

Generally speaking, the spider nest blocks the burner side., not the pilot side. What CAN block the pilot side is debris in the gas line. When you hear the “puff” is there gas present?
Small enough debris in the pilot side can be pushed to the pilot orifice, stopping gas flow . That’s where I’d start.
Turn off the gas supply.
Remove the glass & take of pic of the logs before removing them.
Post a pic of the pilot assembly, & we can take it from there.