Valve and wall switch issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

smothers12

Mar 5, 2020
Carlisle, IA
I have a 6000TRILP gas fireplace that was in the house when I bought it. The switches never seemed to work right so I did some looking into it today and am more stumped than I was before. I have tried about every combination of switch positions and below are my findings. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology but the valve switch I'm referring to is the ON/OFF switch near the gas control valve.

Valve switch ON, wall switch wires disconnected - Fire will light and remain lit.

Valve switch OFF, wall switch wires disconnected - Fire will shut off.

Valve switch - ON, wall switch wires connected = Fire will light and remain lit even if wall switch is in the ON or OFF position.

Valve switch - OFF, wall switch wires connected = Fire will light and remain lit if the wall switch is in the ON position. Fire will shut off if the wall switch is turned to the OFF position.

I wondered if the wall switch was bad so I disconnected it and simulated turning it ON/OFF by touching the wires together and got the same results as above.

From my understanding, the valve switch should always have preference. So if the valve switch is ON, the wall switch should turn the fire ON/OFF. If the valve switch is OFF, the wall switch should have no control.

I am very confused because the valve switch seems to work like it should with the wall switch disconnected but if the wall switch is connected, the valve switch will not shut off the flames. I have attached pictures of the switch and label of my fireplace.

I am assuming the wires are not hooked up correctly but the wiring diagram in the owner's manual does not not show this specific wiring.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_4772.jpg
    IMG_4772.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4773.jpg
    IMG_4773.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_4774.jpg
    IMG_4774.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 109
The switches are mutually exclusive. If you turn the unit on with the wall switch, you have to turn it off with that switch.
If you turn it on with the tech switch, you have to turn it off with that one.

Reactions: Chestrockwell75
I have a 6000TRILP gas fireplace that was in the house when I bought it. The switches never seemed to work right so I did some looking into it today and am more stumped than I was before. I have tried about every combination of switch positions and below are my findings. I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology but the valve switch I'm referring to is the ON/OFF switch near the gas control valve.

Valve switch ON, wall switch wires disconnected - Fire will light and remain lit.

Valve switch OFF, wall switch wires disconnected - Fire will shut off.

Valve switch - ON, wall switch wires connected = Fire will light and remain lit even if wall switch is in the ON or OFF position.

Valve switch - OFF, wall switch wires connected = Fire will light and remain lit if the wall switch is in the ON position. Fire will shut off if the wall switch is turned to the OFF position.

I wondered if the wall switch was bad so I disconnected it and simulated turning it ON/OFF by touching the wires together and got the same results as above.

From my understanding, the valve switch should always have preference. So if the valve switch is ON, the wall switch should turn the fire ON/OFF. If the valve switch is OFF, the wall switch should have no control.

I am very confused because the valve switch seems to work like it should with the wall switch disconnected but if the wall switch is connected, the valve switch will not shut off the flames. I have attached pictures of the switch and label of my fireplace.

I am assuming the wires are not hooked up correctly but the wiring diagram in the owner's manual does not not show this specific wiring.

Any ideas?

you can only use 1 switch at a time. if either of them is on the fireplace will be on