Vapor Fire 100 burning fir and lodgepole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lcguy1`

Oct 12, 2021
Bitterroot Valley
I am about ready to pull the trigger on a Vapor Fire 100, but have a question. I have read all the reviews and articles on the VF100, but it seems all of them are from people burning oak, hickory, and cherry. You can't get that wood in my neck of the wood, legally at least, and I am wondering if anyone on here in the Mountain West, namely Western Montana, burns fir and lodgepole. If so, how does the unit work utilizing these types of fuel? I am in the process of removing my clay chimney liner to put in a new SS liner. The old, circa 1968, wood furnace we had in there produced so much creosote and ate so much wood, that the chimney liner needs to be removed and replaced. This is not a fun job, in any sense of the word, but I can't wait to get the new furnace in. Any feedback about burning fir and pine in these would be appreciated.

I've burnt a little fir (never had any LP though) they do well with softwoods (I burn some pine too)
I actually think the Vaporfires run just as well, maybe even a touch better on softwoods than hardwoods.
The first Kuuma I had was a VF200 and it was just a bit small for our house (and would only take 16" wood...all mine was 20-22") so I sold it to a fellow that put it in a cabin in the Colorado mountains...he said he only has softwoods there, and it heats him outta the house, literally windows open if the VF is loaded too full ;lol (not a big place, and well insulated)

The only issue would be if you are burning softwoods that leave no coals...like eastern white pine...coals are what help make the Kuuma magic happen...make it load n go, gets the gasification going...for best results with cold starts, you'll want to burn down a small load before loading the "real" load, that way you are loading on coal and the firebox is up to temp...cold starts are mediocre otherwise.
I think Lodgepole will leave some coals, no? Maybe fir too?

Reactions: DaveH
I have burned pine in mine during the shoulder seasons. Like mentioned above, there are really no coals with pine.

Works just fine otherwise. You will be fine with pine.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the help here. This site has been helpful for me as a lurker(former, I guess). I guess I will pull the trigger and get it ordered and hopefully I can get this chimney relined by spring. It don't think it will get any cheaper than with the 26% tax rebate.

Reactions: woodey
It don't think it will get any cheaper than with the 26% tax rebate.
Certainly not...steel prices just keep rising...you might mention to Dale that you are not in a hurry for it, that way they can keep current production going to people that waited to the last minute (bet they are just slammed right now) I'm sure they would be willing to lock in your price.
Unless you are at all worried about not being able to get them at all (SHTF) and want it safely in you possession (that's understandable too)

Hopefully we are done with the SHTF for a while.
You are an optimistic person to think that at this time.
I think the big SHTF is coming this winter.
Supply chain,low energy reserves,interest rates going up,and lets not forget the mandates...

I don't have a VF 100, or any forced air appliance, but I do burn a lot of softwoods, that's pretty much all I burn. You will be fine.

You are an optimistic person to think that at this time.
I think the big SHTF is coming this winter.
Supply chain,low energy reserves,interest rates going up,and lets not forget the mandates...
That's funny, I have never been called an optimistic person before. Being a scientist, I tend to overthink everything and try to find what could go wrong, instead of what is right.

Certainly not...steel prices just keep rising...you might mention to Dale that you are not in a hurry for it, that way they can keep current production going to people that waited to the last minute (bet they are just slammed right now) I'm sure they would be willing to lock in your price.
Unless you are at all worried about not being able to get them at all (SHTF) and want it safely in you possession (that's understandable too)
They’re are slammed right now, I ordered mine on June 28th and I just got it last week! steel prices are ridiculous right now and will be for the foreseeable future.... but if I were you I would at least get your name in the rotation so you’re not scrambling to get it hooked up like me!

Reactions: woodey