VC Defiant Catalytic - gap in flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PNW_newbie

Nov 8, 2022
Sequim Washington
Great site, glad I found it. New to a Vermont Castings Catalytic wood stove. I've noticed that there are gaps (light shines through) between the collar and the oval to round transition. I would like recommendatons on high temp seal. Also interested in the how to apply.. Come in from the top, remove collar or attack from bottom? Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Pics below:

20221108_062416.jpg20221108_062803.jpg20221108_062819.jpg

Finger trowel some Rutland furnace cement into the gaps. Or stuff them with some flat gasket material.

thank you, I strung some flat gasket around and doubled it in the areas that were still loose. Bought some cement but will go down this path if the flat gasket approach does not work. Had a nice fire last night and did not notice any leakage.

thank you, I strung some flat gasket around and doubled it in the areas that were still loose. Bought some cement but will go down this path if the flat gasket approach does not work. Had a nice fire last night and did not notice any leakage.
The gasket will probably work fine and it's more permanent.

Reactions: PNW_newbie