VC Encore NC Air Infiltration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern NH Mike

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Northern NH
I posted a week or two back regarding what I thought might be an overdraft of my VC Encore NC. There have been a few posts regarding run aways with this model and always the first suggestion is to check for poor seals. I have an interesting (to me) observation regarding the seals that I'd like to share. I hope I don't sound like I've invented the wheel, I'm just amazed.

This afternoon about 20 minutes after starting the stove and a small bed of coals, I shut down the primary, the flue and had my wife plug up the secondary with the welding glove on. As hoped, the flames disappeared and the box filled with smoke. I took an incense stick and checked the seals on the doors, griddle and ashpan. Nothing was drawing. Interestingly, the two bolts that secure the flue collar to the back of the stove, the seal between the top of the flue collar and the back of the stove as well as the bottom of the pipe that meets the flue collar were all drawing air. I'm assuming that these infiltrations should not be happening? I can see part of the gasket and I'll bet it is not sealing all the way around. Also thinking that it needs cement on the flue collar/pipe seam.

I was also amazed as to the impact that the secondary air hole has on the stove and that some control of that draw would be beneficial if not a last ditch safety control in the event of an overheat.

Just feeling enlightened :bug:

Status
Not open for further replies.