VC Intrepid on ebay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that stove to. I would buy it if it was in Wisconsin. Would look good in my fireplace.

Half of me wants to pick it up. I don't have the money really at all, but that price is pretty good for that stove. Oh well, I just have to build something for myself when I have the money.

For another good deal, do a search for "wood stove" for the Boston area on craigslist. There's a Jotul which looks almost brand-new for $225. It looks something like the current F3CB but the ad says it was manufactured in 1986. It sure looks nice for a stove that old. Boy, Boston always seems to have the best deals on older wood stoves. If I were closer I might be interested in that stove.
Chip

The Intrepid II is a great small stove good for aa room or area less than 800 sq ft in New England Many times it is possible to get 6 hours of productive heat ( productive heat is griddle surface temp of over 450) and enough coals to restart even up to 8hours Price wise $400 for an excellent condition stove is fair. But when looks at the Century 2700 model we installed yesterday at $288 or the Englanders NC-1300 for $325 they are better deals Another think about the Intrepid is how clean and effecient it will burn Right now there is a new NC-30 englander on Ebay that one really should cinsider Even Home Depot sold them for $388 so any price below that would be an exceptional deal

Goose posted this link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150107266376&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

Better buy the Englander, the Intrepid is gone.... (not me, just found bidding had ended when I looked at the link...) Another one that MIGHT be OK is this
Large Dutchwest Cat

Gooserider

Problem with the englander is it doesn't look as nice as the VC. There is the asthetics angle you have to consider. My wife would never consider one of the HD englanders. (Englander take note!!! You guys build a stove that is nicer looking at your current price point you'll sell a LOT of stoves)

Warren said:
Problem with the englander is it doesn't look as nice as the VC. There is the asthetics angle you have to consider. My wife would never consider one of the HD englanders. (Englander take note!!! You guys build a stove that is nicer looking at your current price point you'll sell a LOT of stoves)

Don't worry about it. Soon grasshopper, soon.

It's a matter of aesthetic preferences Warren - seems to me like there are the cast iron boxes with lots of decorative gew-gaw trim on it, and the plate steel boxes with little or no trim, along with the soapstones and other variants... I know folks that prefer the "clean" looks of the "steel box" over the "busyness" of the cast iron box... Me, I prefer the look of money remaining in my pocket :coolsmile:

I try to judge a stove by the rules of it's type, and Englanders look good when judged by "steel box" standards, would probably do better in a "contemporary" style setting than a cast iron box. Likewise a cast iron box would probably fit better in a victorian or colonial style room...

"Ya pays yo money and makes yo choices"

Gooserider

I want it all: good heat, good efficiency, good looks, good draw at a good price. Fortunately, we know just the guy that can do it.

Gooserider said:
Better buy the Englander, the Intrepid is gone.... (not me, just found bidding had ended when I looked at the link...) Another one that MIGHT be OK is this
Large Dutchwest Cat

Gooserider

that Dutch west has seen some hard use look at the ash pannell , it is warped from over firing. It looks like the guy must have opened it to get the stove firing and forgot it.
since a good seal is needed to prevent overfiring every time it opperated it over fired. Also note that chimney does not look in that good of condition. Forget 16" infront of the loading door

Ok line up and buy now for an abused over fired stove get you bidding ticket here. Don't worry about the side area indicating serious overfiring or the water damage and rusted out seams this is a Deal. $600 and you can use this water damaged rusted seams overfired stove The person buying it better figure the price of a total rebuild and if water got in that cat chamber $250 for the dog house and then the cost of a new cat

That stove is not worth $50 by the time it is rebuilt and parts purchased.

elkimmeg said:
Gooserider said:
Large Dutchwest Cat

Gooserider

that Dutch west has seen some hard use look at the ash pannell , it is warped from over firing. It looks like the guy must have opened it to get the stove firing and forgot it.
since a good seal is needed to prevent overfiring every time it opperated it over fired. Also note that chimney does not look in that good of condition. Forget 16" infront of the loading door

Ok line up and buy now for an abused over fired stove get you bidding ticket here. Don't worry about the side area indicating serious overfiring or the water damage and rusted out seams this is a Deal. $600 and you can use this water damaged rusted seams overfired stove The person buying it better figure the price of a total rebuild and if water got in that cat chamber $250 for the dog house and then the cost of a new cat

That stove is not worth $50 by the time it is rebuilt and parts purchased.

Well that was why I said "MIGHT" and not "I put in a bid on it..." Though I have to say that I don't see the problems that you are seeing. I even blew the picture up to 300% The only thing I saw is that it looks like the legs might have been shortened to make it fit in the fireplace, but that could be the angle of the photograph...

I wish E-bay had an option to let you put in an "I'll give you .... if it doesn't sell" bid instead of that minimum bid amount... Would you mind if I quoted you in sending him an offer for it if the stove doesn't sell for his asking price? (it probably will given the way other junk moves on e-bay...)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.