VC Winterwarm Large damper problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

agbiggs

Dec 8, 2019
Oregon
I have an issue where the attaching bolt/washer have fallen off the damper control rod for my Vermont Castings Winterwarm large. The damper control rod is placed vertically and it connects the damper handle outside the insert to a damper swing arm that's behind the damper and causes it to open and close. Without that bolt the damer swing arm doesn't move and I can't open or close the damper.

The local VC retailer/repairmen haven't been of any use. I figured out what's gone wrong, but fixing it seems really tough - I'd have to insert a bolt vertically into a tiny spot that's behind and to the right of the damper.

Does anyone have any experience of partially disassembling a Winterwarm to get better access? I've once replaced the catalytic and, while seemingly simple, in practice it's tough due to the design and age of the Winterwarm. But my only other option is to replace the entire insert, which I'd prefer not to ($3k for a new insert versus $3 for the bolt!).

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!

If this wood stove a free standing or an insert? And do you have a diagram or parts list for it as it may show how it all goes together. From what I am understanding it seems you need to take the top of the stove off to put your bolt in. But need some more info. But who knows you might have it fixed by now.

It's an insert, which means no outside access. I only have a parts diagram, but (after a few hours with my head in the fireplace) I managed to get it taken apart to give me access to the damper rod. I was able to get the rod repaired and today (hopefully!) I'll out it all back together. Not a fun experience, but I'd prefer to fix it rather than shell out three grand on a replacement. Disappointed that I had to do this; I brought in the VC repair folks and they didn't even try to figure out what was wrong with it. But hopefully it all ends well. Thanks!

I have an issue where the attaching bolt/washer have fallen off the damper control rod for my Vermont Castings Winterwarm large. The damper control rod is placed vertically and it connects the damper handle outside the insert to a damper swing arm that's behind the damper and causes it to open and close. Without that bolt the damer swing arm doesn't move and I can't open or close the damper.

The local VC retailer/repairmen haven't been of any use. I figured out what's gone wrong, but fixing it seems really tough - I'd have to insert a bolt vertically into a tiny spot that's behind and to the right of the damper.

Does anyone have any experience of partially disassembling a Winterwarm to get better access? I've once replaced the catalytic and, while seemingly simple, in practice it's tough due to the design and age of the Winterwarm. But my only other option is to replace the entire insert, which I'd prefer not to ($3k for a new insert versus $3 for the bolt!).

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated!
How did you remove the damper to get to the linkage you spoke of?

It's an insert, which means no outside access. I only have a parts diagram, but (after a few hours with my head in the fireplace) I managed to get it taken apart to give me access to the damper rod. I was able to get the rod repaired and today (hopefully!) I'll out it all back together. Not a fun experience, but I'd prefer to fix it rather than shell out three grand on a replacement. Disappointed that I had to do this; I brought in the VC repair folks and they didn't even try to figure out what was wrong with it. But hopefully it all ends well. Thanks!
I keep a 14 mm box end wrench handy and periodically, when the stove is relatively cooler, normally first thing in the morning, and reach in and tighten that bolt.