Vent cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rex66

Hearth Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
Central NY
I'm just curious...how often does everyone completely take apart their venting and clean it and re-caulk it? Every year?....every couple years??....never??

I'm just curious...how often does everyone completely take apart their venting and clean it and re-caulk it? Every year?....every couple years??....never??

I never take it apart but it gets cleaned every ton or so of pellets burned and this is almost totally ash driven.

Never take it apart. If its done right and you have the proper cleaning brush (lint-eater/soot-eater) then it should only be disassembled when removing the stove, or replacing the vent....

X3

I have a double T and T so I take all 3 cleanout caps off and in 10 mins it is all clean! See pic below!

Attachments

• DoubleT.jpg
    DoubleT.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 120
When u guys clean the vent pipe, you just run the brush through it and use a leaf vac to suck out the ash? And if so, do you leave the door open on the stove?

When u guys clean the vent pipe, you just run the brush through it and use a leaf vac to suck out the ash? And if so, do you leave the door open on the stove?

Yes to all of the above.. And unhook your vacuum switch hose (I do this for precautionary measures) Some don't do it.. Some do.

Thx again Dex.

I clean my venting at the beginning and end of every heating season. I'm having a new stove installed this week (if all goes according to plan) and I think the new Harman P61 is built in such a way as it will now be much easier to clean the exhaust area all the way to the vertical vent. With my current Lopi I have to remove the exhaust blower motor and the solid pipe it's connected to (which then goes into the vertical venting via a T) to get at the ash build up in the stove itself. After that, I get up on my roof and use a chimney sweep to dislodge any ash built up in the vertical portion of my venting. This ash either blows out or sinks down to the bottom of the vent where I then vacuum it up. I think with the Harman I can just stick my hose right into the tube (avoiding the sensor that's placed near there of course) and suck the ash out without having to completely remove anything. I'll still need to get on the roof twice a year and do the chimney sweep thing, but that's not a a big deal.

I clean my venting at the beginning and end of every heating season. I'm having a new stove installed this week (if all goes according to plan) and I think the new Harman P61 is built in such a way as it will now be much easier to clean the exhaust area all the way to the vertical vent. With my current Lopi I have to remove the exhaust blower motor and the solid pipe it's connected to (which then goes into the vertical venting via a T) to get at the ash build up in the stove itself. After that, I get up on my roof and use a chimney sweep to dislodge any ash built up in the vertical portion of my venting. This ash either blows out or sinks down to the bottom of the vent where I then vacuum it up. I think with the Harman I can just stick my hose right into the tube (avoiding the sensor that's placed near there of course) and suck the ash out without having to completely remove anything. I'll still need to get on the roof twice a year and do the chimney sweep thing, but that's not a a big deal.

If you do it at the end of the season... Why does it need done at the.beginning of the season? Shouldn't it still be clean from end of season cleaning? Or did you mean mid-season (half of total fuel burned) and end of season (other half of fuel burned)?

Just askin.. Because there is no burning between the end and the beginning.

If you do it at the end of the season... Why does it need done at the.beginning of the season? Shouldn't it still be clean from end of season cleaning? Or did you mean mid-season (half of total fuel burned) and end of season (other half of fuel burned)?

Just askin.. Because there is no burning between the end and the beginning.

I do this because I may burn the stove occasionally in late spring after the heat season is over. If I didn't do one or two more burns, I don't clean it again. Sorry, I should have explained better.....

Status
Not open for further replies.