vent walk-in shower using inline fan or light/fan unit ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
I need to put a ventilation fan in my walk-in shower, in order to try to get the mildew under control (FYI, dimensions are about 5x3ft, by 7ft high, with a doorway and shower curtain about 2x6ft, and no other openings/windows/vent).

Right now there is a 6" recessed "Halo" can, so I want to make things work with something that'll fit the existing 6"-diameter hole in the tilework.

There are several light/fan units available, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7L3FDR/?tag=hearthamazon-20
https://www.build.com/broan-744/s322027?uid=417832

... but my experience we these things is that they are junk (fans start to rattle), as least the Broan-Nutone ones, perhaps the Panasonic (also branded as Aero Pure) is better.

I came across this item, which confused me at first, but it's basically a combination light and fan intake, designed to be used with a separate fan in the ductwork (from the unit to the outside):

https://na.panasonic.com/us/home-an...=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=VentFans#

Because it's gonna be a real hassle to install this thing (there is no attic above the shower, I have to access the 1ft gap between the top of the shower and the house's main framing), I figure this is superior, because the fan can be replaced if necessary if it gets noisy or I want more airflow. Plus the inline fans maybe are better to begin with. It should be quieter too, though I don't imagine running the thing when I'm actually taking a shower. I'm also wondering if the inline fan only needs to be "damp" instead of "wet" rated, since it's not actually in the shower, instead separated by a few feet of 4" duct but still handling very mist air.

Comments ?

I need to put a ventilation fan in my walk-in shower, in order to try to get the mildew under control (FYI, dimensions are about 5x3ft, by 7ft high, with a doorway and shower curtain about 2x6ft, and no other openings/windows/vent).

Right now there is a 6" recessed "Halo" can, so I want to make things work with something that'll fit the existing 6"-diameter hole in the tilework.

There are several light/fan units available, such as:

https://www.build.com/broan-744/s322027?uid=417832

... but my experience we these things is that they are junk (fans start to rattle), as least the Broan-Nutone ones, perhaps the Panasonic (also branded as Aero Pure) is better.

I came across this item, which confused me at first, but it's basically a combination light and fan intake, designed to be used with a separate fan in the ductwork (from the unit to the outside):

https://na.panasonic.com/us/home-an...=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=VentFans#

Because it's gonna be a real hassle to install this thing (there is no attic above the shower, I have to access the 1ft gap between the top of the shower and the house's main framing), I figure this is superior, because the fan can be replaced if necessary if it gets noisy or I want more airflow. Plus the inline fans maybe are better to begin with. It should be quieter too, though I don't imagine running the thing when I'm actually taking a shower. I'm also wondering if the inline fan only needs to be "damp" instead of "wet" rated, since it's not actually in the shower, instead separated by a few feet of 4" duct but still handling very mist air.

Comments ?
Do you have central AC in the house? If so is there a duct in this bathroom?

Do you have central AC in the house? If so is there a duct in this bathroom?
Yes. And kinda but not really. This is all at one end of the MBR. MBR has several ducts. Bathroom area has a toilet stall with an add'l duct, separated from the walk-in shower by a lavatory counter with two basins (so about 8ft wide). Anyhow, the shower is very much a dead end; not gonna get ANY airflow through there, so matter how well-ventilated the MBR and the other parts of the bath area are, without doing something like this.

Looks like a great solution. Can you hook a humidity switch to it?

Looks like a great solution. Can you hook a humidity switch to it?
I could but it'd be silly I think. Instead I'll just use a timer that I set when I'm done showering, as I know it'll need a LOT of ventilation then. If I don't shower, it doesn't need any. I suppose the humidistat would be automatic.

I like the inline fan idea better, especially if you don't have that much space above the ceiling.

If it were me I would go the inline fan with a timer
This way you can run the fan for as long as you
want with out the light being on

I have one of these installed,i believe its the Broan. It s very quiet but, all Broan fixtures are NOT quiet. Also have a Broan Radiant heater right next to it that is loud. I complained to their customer service and they sent me a replacement fan blade. Still loud and vibrates.

your installing the fan inside the shower? or outside the shower door? Check with your building code prior as most codes do not allow electrical in a shower stall unless its out of reach. Never tie exhaust into household duct work as it will just move the moisture to another part of the house. Personally if it were me and i have done this is drop the whole ceiling in the bath except for your tiled shower. Mount your fan, ductwork, electrical and re drywall. Drywall is cheap and will save you a lot of time and frustration. Do your research and get the highest CFM and quietest fan you can find and read the reviews.. I over killed in my bath and never get steam in the bathroom and the fan shuts down within minutes of getting out of the shower.

I, and especially the ladies, prefer a noisy bath fan. It offers cover noise for various sounds coming from the bathroom that one would prefer to be private. Don’t forget about this important feature.

Then a high cfm unit. I hate mold.

Do the humidistats work well? We just leave the hard switched fan running for hours.

I’m not a fan of the inline fans. Not enough cover noise, harder to access for cleaning and inspections, not as easy to replace as the modern ceiling units that have replaceable motor/fan assemblies. They’re weird. Not standard in new modern construction.

your installing the fan inside the shower? or outside the shower door? Check with your building code prior as most codes do not allow electrical in a shower stall unless its out of reach.
There's already electrical there, just the recessed light that I'd replace with the fan - and it's not even GFCI protected !

Pretty sure the fan/light thing is ok if it's "wet location" rated, which I'll make sure it is. And of course I will protect it with GFCI.

I, and especially the ladies, prefer a noisy bath fan. It offers cover noise for various sounds coming from the bathroom that one would prefer to be private. Don’t forget about this important feature.
Not a conventional bathroom - just a collection of stuff, in a more or less linear arrangement, at one end of the MBR. There's a vanity counter with two sinks, about 7ft long. At one end of this is a toilet room, tiny 3x5ft with a door and its own fan. At the other end is the walk-in shower.
Then a high cfm unit. I hate mold.
Yeah, grout mold is the whole reason I'm doing this. Looking at roughly 100cfm, which should (theoretically) evacuate the entire walk-in shower every minute.

I’m not a fan of the inline fans. Not enough cover noise, harder to access for cleaning and inspections, not as easy to replace as the modern ceiling units that have replaceable motor/fan assemblies. They’re weird. Not standard in new modern construction.
Cover noise not an issue, because WC has its own fan (see above). The whole point of my using one is that access will be easier than a fan that mounts above the tiled shower ceiling over the 6"-diameter hole now occupied by a recessed light fixture; if you saw how hard it's gonna be do install this one, you'd understand :)

Reactions: Highbeam
Cover noise not an issue, because WC has its own fan (see above). The whole point of my using one is that access will be easier than a fan that mounts above the tiled shower ceiling over the 6"-diameter hole now occupied by a recessed light fixture; if you saw how hard it's gonna be do install this one, you'd understand :)
Actually now I'm backslidiing, because apparently the inline duct fan needs to be installed vertically, else moisture will simply collect in the housing (if you think about how they are usually shaped). And trying to install it vertically is going to be weird.

I put in a Panasonic unit in our bath with walk-in shower. Been in since 2003 and working fine still.

I put in a Panasonic unit in our bath with walk-in shower. Been in since 2003 and working fine still.
Funny you should mention that. I think my interest in doing the fan intake & light unit plus an inline duct fan is because I'm scarred by the shabbiness of the Broan/Nutone crap. But it appears that maybe the Panasonic stuff is made to a higher standard.

One thing confuses me. Look at these two units, one by Aero Pure and the other by Panasonic:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MARNO5Y/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Looking at them, it's pretty hard to believe they are not made in the same factory. I actually called Aero Pure, who seem to be a manufacturer based in South Carolina, and they claim that Panasonic is not re-branding their fans (or vice versa). The Panasonic seems to have higher ratings, but I like the Aero Pure more because it's cheaper and has a standard (Edison) socket instead of a GU-24.

I like panasonic ,i have 2 of their bagged vacuum cleaners. Found them to be the best and longest lasting.