Venting an old wood stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FarmerGreg

Oct 5, 2023
Kentucky
Hope I’m in the right place to ask wood stove venting question. I recently restored an old stiglitz warm aire stove and am looking forward to using it. I posted my question in s group I’m a member of and got 50 different responses on what I should do but several said I should visit heart.com so here I am. If my pictures came through it’s showing my current chimney and was hoping to use it to vent my stove. It’s just a 8 inch pipe inside a 12 inch pipe and runs from the fireplace to the top of the chimney. By most of the responses I got did not sound very promising. My thoughts were to tap into to it above the mantle of the fire place. I don’t have a ton of money but am not going to do anything that’s not recommended. Just would like some advice on what would be my best options. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1020.jpeg IMG_1025.jpeg IMG_1026.jpeg

That chimney is not rated for a woods stove’s burning temperature. Looks like a vent for a zero clearance wood burning fireplace. You need a Class A, solid fuel chimney. Not cheap.

Hope I’m in the right place to ask wood stove venting question. I recently restored an old stiglitz warm aire stove and am looking forward to using it. I posted my question in s group I’m a member of and got 50 different responses on what I should do but several said I should visit heart.com so here I am. If my pictures came through it’s showing my current chimney and was hoping to use it to vent my stove. It’s just a 8 inch pipe inside a 12 inch pipe and runs from the fireplace to the top of the chimney. By most of the responses I got did not sound very promising. My thoughts were to tap into to it above the mantle of the fire place. I don’t have a ton of money but am not going to do anything that’s not recommended. Just would like some advice on what would be my best options. Thanks in advance.

View attachment 316297 View attachment 316298 View attachment 316299
What he said. It's nor rated for it and you certainly can't just tap into it

Looks to me that you are on a 1 story roof? Could be the hill and camera angle providing deception.
If it is only one story, it wouldn't be super costly. Just a class a with ceiling and roof penetration kit, and of course required pipe from ceiling up. 2 stories get costly.