Venting Gas Fireplace - Would a fan help?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Eberhart

Nov 16, 2019
Arizona
I just moved in a house with my first fireplace. My wife & I love it! It really makes our first home feel perfect.

Sadly, within 15-20 minutes the heat coming from the front of the fireplace is super heating the tiles and the dry wall "mantel." I'd say it seems like the heat is going out the front then hitting the dry wall lip. This is preventing us from using the fire place for any length of time.

The outside 'Hot' vent seems to be working. Plenty of hot air coming from the top of the vent.

IMG_0758.jpg

Anyone have any ideas on redirecting the hot air from the dry wall? Any of these the right line of thinking? . . .

- Is it possible to get a fan to blow more air outside?
- I shouldn't worry about the tiles/drywall, they will be fine under the heat?
- A front-facing fan would blow the air out away from the tiles/drywall?

IMG_0776.jpg

IMG_0008 2.jpg

Thanks Daksy.

It looks like I could buy a GFK-160A off Amazon for $100 or so.

After 20min the tile & bottom mantel lip, I can keep my palm on either for a moment before I have to lift it.

FireplaceBlowersOnline GFK-160 Fireplace Blower Kit for Heat N Glo, Hearth and Home, Quadra Fire, GTI, Fasco, Regency, Royal, Jakel, Nordica, Rotom | Ball Bearing, Quiet, High Air Flow Amazon product ASIN B00713SAQA
13D052C6-56BE-453D-BC6E-C723DDEBD9CC.jpeg

You can try it, but it might not fit underneath
the burner, since it's not approved for this unit.
Let us know how you make out

I was able to install it & it works great. Does what I had hoped. Moves the air away just enough to not heat up the mantel lip.

Thanks!