Vermont Casting DEFIANT Rebuild Finished - final pix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumpys-Garage

Dec 13, 2013
Friendship, WI
I collect and restore my own cars (40) and took a short break in the action and do some old wood stoves. I just LOVE to do parts. I don't care what kind of part it is, I get a lot of satisfaction restoring just about anything.
I picked up some old wood stoves on CL and one of them was the old model 1975 Defiant. Had the one piece fire back that was badly cracked. I've welded cast iron before but this was a NO GO. Too much creosote build up in the metal. Got the new two piece back retro fit kit from Woodsman. The worst part of this kind of job is the removing of old cement and cleaning the joints with wire wheels. DUSTY! I think I'll pick a few more of these up and just do them. Only took about 12-15 hours and I've got $400 in the stove.

BTW, if anyone is interested in seeing my passion, restoring Muscle Cars they're at http://www.grumpys-garage.com or on Face Book https://www.facebook.com/pages/Grumpys-Garage-MuscleCars/200941343261937?ref=hl

IMG_0417.jpg IMG_2130.jpg IMG_2131.jpg IMG_2142.jpg IMG_2147.jpg IMG_2134.jpg IMG_2138.jpg IMG_2132.jpg IMG_2143.jpg

Thank you. I SINCERELY appreciate that. I make time for what is important to me. I'm 64 and sleep 4 hours a night and work the rest of the time. I did go on a vacation back in 1973 to Germany. ;-)

LOL. "Back in 1973 I went on a vacation....".

That is one of the best restores I have ever seen. I think it should be put in another forum topic for more people to see

Seriously grumpy, I am amazed. I have friends who restore cars and yours are top notch!!

really nice job. if you are restoring old stoves also you should upload the pictures of your stoves for us to see. you did the stove the justice it deserved. i burn a defiant 1 like what you have there. very nice stove probably in the day it was made was ahead of it's time.

welcome to the forum:)

Status
Not open for further replies.