Vermont Casting SNV30 Pilot Assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 9, 2019
Northeast
Hello,

There is an actual question in here. Or at least a request for advice.

I have a Vermont Casting B-Vent SNV30 that worked great all last winter. I turned it on this fall and the pilot has gone out a few times since then. It would always light when the value was set to pilot and manually depressed. If I did not let it warm up for more then 30 or 60 seconds before I turned it to “ON” it would go out. The pilot flame is a nice blue and envelopes both the thermocouple and thermopile.

I checked the voltage on the thermopile and it starts at about 550 with just the pilot to about 350 with the stove lit and producing heat. I did not check the thermocouple voltage yet but ill do so tomorrow.

I called a few propane shops locally and there are two problems. First is I am in Vermont and most people are booking out to mid-December or January. Second, the two independent folks I talked to say, sorry it is too old, I am not comfortable working on it. The place that sells VT Casting stoves said their techs won’t work on it either due to the age.

One was willing to offer advice as he ran the new propane line form the tanks to the house. I was able to source the parts, thermocouple/thermopile etc.. as well as the whole pilot assembly. He suggested I get the whole assembly which I did.
I have opened it up, cleaned and vacuumed out the fire box and used emory cloth to clean the thermocouple and thermopile but figure since it keeps the house from freezing when nobody is home to feed the stove I will replace the unit….
Finally the question….

When I had it open for cleaning before I loosened the pilot assembly and it moved around but when I tried to lift it out it was not cooperative. Can someone let me know the order of operation to remove it. Is there a plug or do I need to unhook the gas/thermocouple/thermopile before it lifts at all? Remove the burner? etc...

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

Last edited:
Can you post a pic of the pilot assembly?

This is the one i bought (same part number). do you mean take the stove apart and and post the location assembly?

I can do that but not until tomorrow.

Attachments

• SNV30Pilot-Assembly.jpg
    SNV30Pilot-Assembly.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 152
If that's the correct assembly, you should be able to change it out without pulling the burner.
If you HAVEN'T done so, disconnect the Thermopile from the terminal block.
Disconnect the Thermocouple from the gas valve, along with the pilot tube.
Remove the (2) 1/4" hex head screws & pull the entire assembly up SLOWLY.
You will have to see how the connections are installed under the unit & will
probably have to untangle them or cut some zip ties.
Everything feed thru a hole smaller than the base of the pilot assembly.
It's tight & there are a lot of sharp edges, but it'll come out.
Installation is just the reverse. The t-couple & pilot tube connections
to the valve can be difficult...
Good chance of adding change to your swear jar.