Vermont Casting Vigilent -drip oil feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Protzinsc

Oct 9, 2016
Pelzer, SC
I have a good Vigilent stove in my shop and a good source of used motor oil. I know some folks have used a drip oil feed into a home made wood stove with good success. Any reason I should not try to introduce a driip system into my Vigilent??

Besides going directly against the stove manual's explicit warning it would not use of the secondary burn technology built into the stove.

Unfortunately, you only hear about the successes and not the failures. It is dumb idea for a homemade wood stove owner and dumb idea for any woodstove. There is no way to control the burn for complete combustion and the potential for something to go wrong and burn the house down is high.

If someone pops up and gives you detailed instructions or advocates to do it I would suggest you get their name and address for when something goes wrong because your insurance company sure isn't going to pay a dime for any damage caused by burning liquid fuel in a solid fuel boiler.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.