Vermont castings Intrepid 2 replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Srvfan

Nov 14, 2021
New England
I have an Intrepid 2 I’d like to replace. ( yes I know……) Any how my problem is this, I need something small like the Intrepid
2 which has a 13” deep firebox and legs that are about 22” deep front to back. My stove sits on my fireplace hearth which has a ice arched opening . No way am I doing an insert . So I need something shallow front to back and fairly short height wise . Would love soap stone, definitely want high efficiency and low emissions . Having problems finding anything that fits the bill that isnt ridiculously huge, looking for recommendations.

I had a Woodstock fireview. Wish I had kept it. Great stove. Worth looking into.

What’s the max height you could can fit knowing that it will depend on the width with the arch?

What’s the max height you could can fit knowing that it will depend on the width with the arch?
Dead center of arch about 31” at 24” wide (12” each side of center ) I’ve got maybe 27”. Front to back of hearth beyond the fireplace opening I’ve got 20”. The Intrepid 2 sits mostly in front of the fireplace . I see many new stoves like Hearthstone that side load. That means i can’t push it back at all into fireplace, can’t open door. FYI cost is not really an object I’ll pay for a clean running stove, quality and the right fit.